jackalcooper
Sometimes it is kind of frustrating to use mostly python based tools to create dataset. You got so many cores on machines for deep learning and it takes forever to create dataset if you can’t leverage them. For instance I have been running this dataset creation task for more than a day and it only utilize 400% cpu while there are 24 metal cpus on the server.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mythicalprogrammer
I have no idea what this create dataset means at all. This is coming from a statistician/programmer that does sampling, collecting, cleaning, modeling, and web scraping.
kokolegorille
More or less, You feed your neural network to produce a dataset.
Here are some open datasets
Laymer
Hi
I am also really interested in any answer regarding this topic. I have personally never done data collection on a large scale using Erlang, but I will have to in a near future. So if any experts out there are willing to share their experience it would be much appreciated
Regarding your example, if I understand well you have a server rack with 24 processors, and I will assume they are 6-core/12-thread each if you have recent Xeon hardware. So 24 * 2 * 6 = 288 means that with my assumption you have 288 available logical cores for your task (The exact number does not actually matter).
So the maximum number of parallel processes that you could efficiently leverage is 288, while 400% usage seems to point there is only 4 of them. I have no experience whatsoever with ML nor dataset processing, but whatever task you are doing if you see unused CPU cores it might be an indicator of non-concurrent parts in your program. I would suggest trying to see if your data collection job allows for at least N concurrent processes to run simultaneously, where N = (physical CPU cores) x 2.
Normally you can always reach full CPU load if the Erlang VM is allowed to run on all the cores of your machine.
Hope this helps,
Igor
mythicalprogrammer
Oh.. it that GAN thing?
kokolegorille
I don’t think so, GAN is putting 2 neural networks working adversary…
One generates data, the other trying to detect if data is fake. It ends when neural checking network can not differentiate between generated data and real data.
BTW there is this very impressive video about GAN…
mythicalprogrammer
Ah okay. I was thinking that one of the NN in GAN generate data to trick the other one but that’s only the train part it’s not necessarily for generating data for the sake of it.
Do you know what architecture of NN is the data generating one?
kokolegorille
I am sorry but I don’t know…
I have been interested in DL since Google Alpha(Go, Master, Zero) was able to defeat top human players at the game of Go, and top dedicated computer programs at the game of Chess.
I have been using Python recently to see what could be done.
Most of Python libraries for DL are wrapper around C/C++, so I think it could be doable in Elixir too.
There is also tensorflex
https://github.com/anshuman23/tensorflex