Anyone read “Elixir Programming for Real-Time Applications”?

Hi,

was just wondering if anyone owns this book?

Elixir Programming for Real-Time Applications: Stop Juggling Frameworks, Conquer Scalability, and Craft Production-Ready Apps (Without the Headaches)

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Jose-Krum/dp/B0CSNFWMCD/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=elixir&qid=1707209605&s=books&sr=1-2

Is it good? I can see that this author has various “trendy” titles so I am wondering.

I appreciate the feedback.

2 Likes

So the author published 13 books in a month. If it isn’t scam, it is AI-coauthored. Will be interesting if the content is worth the money.

3 Likes

I doubt it, I tried to generate a regex guide for myself using an LLM search parser/text generator.

All they (LLM search parsers) do effectively is repackage information and mimic tone, the capacity for depth is so poor that you can even sense it when spoken aloud by one who is trying to present the work as organic.

I would say they are a great tool for shallow searches, which makes them a good learning asset, for now.

2 Likes

But the question is not if you can code with the use of LLM, but if you can use it to write tons of books in a short time. A subtle difference.

1 Like

Of course, I was not talking about coding, but about writing useful guides on coding using LLM search parsers.

The idea being that the LLM amalgamates relevant guides and then regurgitates them in a more digestible format.

What I’ve found is that due to the lack of actual intelligence, the veracity of LLM generated guides is shallow, at any relevant depth the loss of consistency is so apparent that the veracity of the information is very obviously diminished.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. As a newcomer to Elixir I just came across one of the above authors books about Elixir and Phoenix and was considering purchasing. Will stick to something more tried and true now!

Welcome Ben! Check out our Books and Courses sections :023:

1 Like

Perfect thanks. I’ve just read Elixir in Action which was great. I’m looking to get stuck into Phoenix now so will take a look through these resources.

1 Like

Wow, the Books section is a goldmine!

2 Likes