Anyone received their new MacBook Pros today?

I think a bunch of us will be interested in hearing how the new M1 Pro/Max compare to the regular M1 when compiling and running Elixir code. If you have experienced any 2 of the 3, please share!

1 Like

I have a pretty decked out M1 Max… not entirely sure what is going on, but to be honest, compilation times are pretty bad. My M1 Air is much faster.

I had both computers compile hexpm from scratch (including deps).
The MacBook Air (not even plugged in) did it in under 3 minutes.
The M1 Max took nearly 10 minutes.

I have a software/OS update queued up (12.0.1), so hopefully that helps. It could also be Spotlight is still indexing and slowing things down. I haven’t run anything really heavy (games/video editing) yet.

1 Like

I did, “base” model Mac Book Pro, installed asdf Erlang in about 2 mins (no fans).

Everything is going according to plan so far.

Do you mind seeing how long it takes to compile (including deps) and run tests the hexpm project? i.e.:

mix setup
time mix test # <= this command

My sneaking suspicion is that the compiler is only using the two efficiency cores for some reason.

During compilation, bpytop looks like

1 Like

mix test 16.23s user 3.92s system 142% cpu 14.111 total

1 Like

The new M1s look great and I think I finally have to overcome my thinkpad-trackpoint-addiction.

2 Likes

For anyone that comes by later, you can dramatically speed up compilation times by either:

1. Using the Homebrew version of Erlang
  2. Using the KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS from the Homebrew formula.

I used:

export KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="
      --disable-debug \
      --disable-silent-rules \
      --enable-dynamic-ssl-lib \
      --enable-hipe \
      --enable-shared-zlib \
      --enable-smp-support \
      --enable-threads \
      --enable-wx \
      --with-ssl=$(brew --prefix openssl@1.1) \
      --without-javac
      --enable-darwin-64bit \
      --enable-kernel-poll \
      --with-dynamic-trace=dtrace \
      "

my thinking is that --enable-darwin-64bit is doing the heavy lifting

10 Likes

Good find! Do you have a better comparison M1 vs M1 Max now?

That same compile that took 10 minutes now takes about 1:30, so about 2x faster than the macbook air.

8 Likes

I have just merged tried the ARM JIT PR (jit: Add support for 64-bit ARM processors by jhogberg · Pull Request #4869 · erlang/otp · GitHub) into the OTP 24.1.3 release, which gives me OTP 24 + JIT on ARM :slight_smile:

You can try it out with the following (using ASDF):

export OTP_GITHUB_URL="https://github.com/qdentity/otp"
asdf install erlang ref:v24.1.3
asdf local erlang ref:v24.1.3

Running the snippet from https://twitter.com/akoutmos/status/1453558037063639040

{time, _} = :timer.tc(fn -> 1..5_000_000 |> Enum.reduce(0, fn number, acc -> acc + number end) end)
System.convert_time_unit(time, :microsecond, :millisecond)

finishes in 1s, which is very nice compared to the 1.7s the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X in the tweet achieved! Someone also ran it with the OTP 25 development branch and achieved the same same result (1s).

Other improvements to mention here: full recompile on a large project:

37 seconds (Macbook Pro 2017 best i7)
vs
23 seconds (Macbook Pro M1 16 inch 10-core)

Partial recompile on same project (recompiling 42 files):

17 seconds (Macbook Pro 2017 best i7)
vs
5 seconds (Macbook Pro M1 16 inch 10-core)

Overall, very nice speed-ups :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Revisiting this, I’m also seeing issues with mix compile only really stressing the 2 efficiency cores. I have tried both OTP 24.1.5 and ref:master via asdf with those build flags. Anyone else seen this issue and worked past it?

Just to confirm, did you try my fork (export OTP_GITHUB_URL="https://github.com/qdentity/otp") and then asdf install erlang ref:v24.1.3? What do you get when you run the snippet mentioned above? I noticed that when JIT is enabled, the custom KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS are not needed to have the BEAM utilise all cores. And an additional question: what do you see when you run the observer, do you see something like this?

3 Likes

I am having the same issue. Looks like mix compile is only using 2 cores.