ellispritchard
Hi,
We’ve started using Zipkin, for our Java and Node apps, and since I’m trying to get Elixir into the mix, I’ve been looking for supporting libraries.
Is anyone working on this? If not, anybody interested in collaborating?
Ellis.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mkunikow
I am curious how do you connect from elixir to Java/Node if may I ask? I assume this is some synchronize communication.
ellispritchard
Hi Michal,
Elixir would communicate with the Zipkin server over HTTP. The whole system hangs together by passing trace ids via HTTP headers.
The Node & Java applications are just other clients of Zipkin that we already use.
Ellis.
mbrown
Hi Ellis,
I’m currently achieving the implementation of the OpenTracing API in Erlang/Elixir.
Under testing.
We shall soon transmit the latter to the OpenTracing project.
KR,
Marc
PS: You can contact me at marc_at_sezam.io in case. Ciao
ellispritchard
Super! Thanks for letting me know, Marc.
I had started (this week) on a Brave [1] equivalent, which is targeted at Zipkin rather than OpenTracing, since we have already adopted the Zipkin Server for our Java and node.js apps. However, I’ve only just started, and am learning as I go along, so progress is a bit slow, although it’s a great excuse to learn!
I’ll keep an eye out for your project, I’d like to know how it differs from my näive approach; perhaps OpenTracing can be bridged to Zipkin, as Brave can be bridged to OpenTracing?
[1] https://github.com/openzipkin/brave/blob/master/brave/README.md
Ellis.
mbrown
Hi Ellis,
Thanks for your reply. Practical approach is probably the best way to
learn how to code
I’ll provide you with the URL of our code repository soon. And yes,
Zipkin can be bridged to OpenTracing. We are working on this aspect as
well (though we
started an implementation of a full Erlang/Elixir tracing platform - so
that to gain from the fantastic OTP platform and concurrency of Erlang).
Our intend is to develop self-organizing cloud stack - on Amazon, for
now - based on traces from the APM system. And we prefer functional
programming over OO.
This project will be open-source as well. Our tiny startup (located in
France and Switzerland) is working on crypto-stuffs and real-time
payment, as well as automated compliance checking.
Let’s keep in touch.
Ciao.
PS: A great article of one of our smartest computer scientists in
Switzerland (father of procedural progamming and Pascal - Niklaus Wirth)
on how to teach computer science:
https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/co/2012/07/mco2012070008-abs.html
https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/co/2012/07/mco2012070008-abs.html
DianaOlympos
This is also around
May be worth it to see if we could use it and help them 