peppy

peppy

Starting with a fresh install of Phoenix on a Ubuntu 20.04 server with Apache2, what are the specific steps for setting up a reverse proxy (what should the block of code in apache be exactly? what do I edit in the phoenix app files?)

By default, Phoenix runs fine on: https://www.mysite.com:4000/

I want it to run on: https://www.mysite.com/ex/ (without the port 4000 in the URL)

The “Welcome To Phoenix” page and all css/js/image files should load, the live view frame should load and the sockets should work with no errors.

Right now, I have something like the following in my Apache config:

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName www.mysite.com
ServerAlias mysite.com
 <Location /ex/>
    ProxyPass http://127.0.0.1:4000/
    ProxyPassReverse http://127.0.0.1:4000/
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

In Phoenix, I edited config/config.exs to something like this:

config :exchat, ExchatWeb.Endpoint,
  url: [host: "localhost", path: "/ex"],

At the moment, the phoenix page on the website (css/js/images) loads up fine, but the sockets aren’t working. In the console, I’m seeing repeating errors like:

WebSocket connection to 'wss://www.mysite.com/socket/websocket?token=undefined&vsn=2.0.0' failed
WebSocket connection to 'wss://www.mysite.com/ex/phoenix/live_reload/socket/websocket?vsn=2.0.0' failed

…

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 4

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Running an application involve phoenix sockets not at the root path is tricky. Do you really want to do that? In the old time, people do this to save a separate https cert. now that letsencrypt is free, most people will just make another sub domain and build a virtual host.

If you really want to do this, check your app.js for the socket connection statement. You may want to fix that to your path prefix.

peppy

peppy OP

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn’t cross my mind to use a sub-domain. Based on my reading, I just assumed using Phoenix on a domain directory path was standard practice.

Aetherus

Aetherus

Using separate subdomains has some extra benefits:

  • Cookies are managed separately by default. There’s no need to specify the path option in cookies.
  • CORS strategies can be configured separately so that your applications are more secure than sharing the same domain.
  • Your URLs are shorter and easier to remember.
derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Depends on how do you define standard. If you do not use socket, then it is just as simple as adding a path to endpoint config. If you use socket, the js part need to be modified accordingly. I pass the application root through a data attributes of the the body tag, and connect the lv socket using that. This way the socket path is “float” wrt to the location:

https://github.com/derek-zhou/liv/blob/daf91cccc953f0096d5cbee5f847d4ece8d6f4f3/assets/js/app.js#L173

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews