yordisprieto
Hey there, I am working with a client for an OpenAPI spec, and I have a dilemma.
Imagine the following
defmodule API.Account do
@moduledoc """
Implements /account endpoints.
"""
alias StrawHat.Response
alias API.{Client, Client.Request}
@type t :: %__MODULE__{
email: String.t(),
id: String.t(),
is_international: boolean()
}
defstruct [:email, :id, :is_international]
@doc """
Retrieve account information.
"""
@spec get_account(%Client{}) :: Response.t(%__MODULE__{}, Client.error())
def get_account(client) do
client
|> Request.new()
|> Request.put_method(:get)
|> Request.put_path("/account")
|> Client.send()
|> StrawHat.Response.and_then(&transform_response/1)
end
@doc false
def new(data) do
%__MODULE__{
email: data["email"],
id: data["id"],
is_international: data["isInternational"]
}
end
defp transform_response(data) do
data
|> new()
|> Response.ok()
end
end
Here is my dilemma: Should I transform the incoming data into structs, or I shouldn’t bother with it?
I am talking about the following part
|> StrawHat.Response.and_then(&transform_response/1)
Should I keep that? Or should I just return the raw data?
I still don’t know what the right answer is here honestly.
From one side, it is a lot of work and I think doesn’t matter much, not sure.
From the otherwise, it is nice, I get to have structs and normalize a bit the keys and such.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
princemaple
My personal preference is to return raw, so that you don’t have to keep up with the api as closely, and don’t have to distinguish between versions as strictly.
stefanchrobot
If I’m writing an API client where I work with the data (as opposed to just passing it to somewhere else), I usually add the request and response structs. This makes the API more discoverable without the need to reach to the API documentation. But this is not a universal advice - there are scenarios where you don’t care about the response, so why waste the time on building a reach response.