nTraum

nTraum

I have a Phoenix application that is happily using runtime.exs to configure settings at runtime. The Phoenix app is deployed via a Dockerfile and a mix release.

In that phoenix application we set our own app_env config setting to distinguish between staging / prod / demo environment settings. The file has been growing steadily, so I’d like to introduce app-env specific runtime config files, similar to what mix does with compile-time settings.

My runtime.exs therefore contains generic configuration that is applicable to all envs - and at the very bottom:

# runtime.exs

# [... generic config here] ...

# Import app env specific config. This must remain at the bottom
# of this file so it overrides the configuration defined above.

runtime_file = "runtime_#{app_env}.exs"
IO.puts("Requiring #{runtime_file}")
Code.require_file(runtime_file, __DIR__)

With my config dir looking like this:

 $ tree config/
config/
├── config.exs
├── dev.exs
├── prod.exs
├── runtime_dev.exs
├── runtime.exs
├── runtime_prod.exs
├── runtime_staging.exs
├── runtime_test.exs
└── test.exs

This works well locally and on CI, but inside the Dockerfile the application is packaged and run via mix release. When starting the app, it rightfully complains that it cannot find config/runtime_prod.exs anymore.

Is there a way I can have these app-env specific runtime files while using mix releases? Looking at my Dockerfile, nothing special is happening with the default runtime.exs, it’s simply copied over:

# Changes to config/runtime.exs don't require recompiling the code
COPY config/runtime.exs config/

COPY rel rel
RUN mix sentry.package_source_code
RUN mix release

My attempt to include the other runtime config files via wildcard does not work:

# Changes to config/runtime.exs don't require recompiling the code
COPY config/runtime*.exs config/

COPY rel rel
RUN mix sentry.package_source_code
RUN mix release

Showing Posts 1 to 4

nTraum

nTraum OP

I dived a bit deeper into the mix release documentation, ConfigProvider specifically supports loading config files from multiple files (Config.Provider — Elixir v1.20.2), but as far as I can see that would require me to build different releases per app-env.

So that

releases: [
  demo: [
    config_providers: [
      {Config.Reader, {:system, "RELEASE_ROOT", "/runtime_demo.exs"}}
    ]
  ],
  staging: [
    config_providers: [
      {Config.Reader, {:system, "RELEASE_ROOT", "/runtime_staging.exs"}}
    ]
  ]
]

the correct runtime file would be included in the release. Currently I am building one Docker image for all app environments, which is very convenient. I guess I need to somehow put in some custom logic to only execute the relevant app-env-specific runtime file if possible.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

You can do if/case/switch clauses inside runtime.exs, that’s what I do.

Instead of requiring “runtime_#{app_env}.exs” you can do conditional configs inside the same file, then you don’t have to include additional runtime_XXX.exs files at all.

nTraum

nTraum OP

Yep, while not as pretty, we decided to go with the naive solution too. Thanks!

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

I’m a big fan of dotenv config, so I would say to use Dotenvy.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews