mblagusz
Upon upgrading to Erlang 26, I noticed that the protoc-gen-elixir plugin to the protobuf compiler no longer works. The plugin starts off by reading :stdio as a binary stream, and decoding the contents:
# See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/elixir-lang-talk/T5enez_BBTI.
:io.setopts(:standard_io, encoding: :latin1)
# Read the standard input that protoc feeds us.
bin = binread_all!(:stdio)
request = Protobuf.Decoder.decode(bin, Google.Protobuf.Compiler.CodeGeneratorRequest)
The binread_all!() function calls IO.binread(), and this succeeds sometimes, fails with {:error, :collect_chars} at other times, and reads a truncated file in yet other situations, depending on the exact input args to protoc. This all works with Erlang 25 / Elixir 1.14, and with the Python protoc plugin.
Minimal Test Case
With Elixir 1.14, Erlang 25:
$ echo -n $'\xDF\xBE' | elixir -e ':io.setopts(:standard_io, [{:encoding, :latin1}]); IO.binread(:standard_io, :eof) |> IO.inspect()'
"\x{7FE}"
With Elixir 1.15 / Erlang 26.0.2:
$ echo -n $'\xDF\xBE' | elixir -e ':io.setopts(:standard_io, [{:encoding, :latin1}]); IO.binread(:standard_io, :eof) |> IO.inspect()'
{:error, :collect_chars}
I see similar results using :file.read() instead of IO.binread(). Any idea if this is a known issue?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
This issue sounds related:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues/7230
mblagusz
Okay, so someone did implement Jose’s proposed fix, of adding a kernel argument to set the stdin encoding: Fix problems when reading from stdin and "-noshell" was passed to erl (or used through an escript) by garazdawi · Pull Request #7384 · erlang/otp · GitHub
But how would I specify kernel arguments in an escript?
mblagusz
So far I’ve been able to use this as a workaround:
It’s a little awkward since it has to be specified at runtime, not escript build time. I think I can do the same thing with
emu_args, but haven’t tried it yet.