jordiee
https://medium.com/appdoctor/what-is-appdoctor-5cceaedf7a05
AppDoctor backend is built completely in elixir using all sorts of otp goodness.
Examples are authentication is using replicated ets tables, AppDoctor tests run in DynamicSupervisor genservers isolated from each other. We are really excited to be done(until changes are needed) with the backend and continue work on the front end for our 2019 launch. We will be moving users into closed beta shortly and I would love feedback from my favorite internet forum. Any questions on the elixir backend feel free to ask away!
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 20 to 11- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jordiee
Long time since last post but we just released an onboarding update for AppDoctor(finally)
https://blog.appdoctor.io/august-feature-release/
Also on more exciting news github user dfalling has updated AccessPass to include ecto 3.x.x support.
For any not familiar AccessPass is AppDoctors open source user auth library.
If anyone has any questions about AccessPass or AppDoctor feel free to pm or post here!
frigidcode
Enjoying the blog, thanks for moving away from medium too
jordiee
I do not have any plans to open source the application in entirety. I do plan to opensource what I can though.
The user authentication portion is open sourced and I continue to support / develop that.
Keep a look out here for more open sourced parts of AppDoctor going forward.
jordiee
It is not currently possible to run browser checks via AppDoctor but it is on our backlog that we hope to complete this year!
AppDoctor can currently test any API use case as simple or complex as you need due to the robust rules engine. We plan on using the same rules engine when adding browser tests so you can expect the same robust level of customization to accommodate all use cases.
darkmarmot
I’d love to see your hot upgrade post! Thanks!
cnck1387
Do you have any intentions on open sourcing your app so we can see how certain bits of your app were implemented?
venomnert
Hey @jordiee, is it possible to use AppDoctor to do ui tests on a production site?
jordiee
https://blog.appdoctor.io/may-feature-release/
Some interesting tidbits. We at AppDoctor use hot upgrades and since launch has not had a single second of downtime. We have Tests scheduled and running in GenServers that have been running since day 1 of release.
Doing hot upgrades during CI was a challenge in itself to figure out because we needed to pull the old artifact in order for distillery to figure out the update path to the new version. I will probably write a blog post going forward about our deployment strategy because it has so far worked out quite well for us and allows us to constantly deploy without dropping WebSocket connections or messing up test schedules.
jordiee
It has been a while since I posted. I finally got around to doing a short demo of AppDoctor tests:
Also if you use the discount code ‘month-free’ when signing up you get 40$ applied to your account(only last till July)
Now for my funny elixir story:
Everything has gone really well since launch. No breaking bugs and everything has been running very smooth. Funny enough it turns out when you took a certain common action it crashed an account process every time(bad state format). I never even realized this was happening because the supervisor would restart the process and it would pull correct state format from the DB, so this bug went months unnoticed(since then I added better logging). Although it sucks to have a bug its great when everything continues to work correctly!(thanks elixir).
mikemccall
Grand Rapids Michigan is where I grew up! My family is always trying to pull be back. That’s awesome to see your startup based there. Congrats.