odohMei7

odohMei7

How can I efficiently append one entry to a list? Is this the best solution:

history = [{1,100}, {2,300}, {3,200}] 
current = {4,150}
chart = Enum.map(history,&Tuple.to_list(&1)) ++ [Tuple.to_list(current)]|>Jason.encode!

It does not feel good to scan the list twice, once during Enum.map and once for appending to the list which is O(length(list)) as I have read. Is there a better method to only loop through the list once (think of a long history list)?

I did not benchmark and what I have done above seems to be sufficiently performant in my use case so this is rather a theoretical question that I am interested in.

Bonus question: Is there any method to avoid the Tuple.to_list before I pipe into Jason.encode, this also feels unnecessary but unfortunately Jason.encode cannot handle tuples.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

krasenyp

krasenyp

I doubt there’s a way to append elements more efficiently because of immutability.

lud

lud

Any solution I could imagine would be a wrapper around Tuple.to_list anyway.

For the double scan, unless your history is very, very long, I would not try to optimize that, what you do is fine. If your really want a performance optimization here then I would just build the history in reverse order, and prepend the new entry instead of appending it.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

I don’t understand this argument because why couldn’t the a function similar to Enum.map just construct the new list in a way such that there is a last element is as desired? Shouldn’t it be possible in principle without violating immutability?

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

Thank you, yes, I should just keep it as is and go on. I suffer from premature optimization because I come from C++ :smile:, was just wondering if there is a thing here that I should know about.

wanton7

wanton7

Why don’t you keep history data in types you can just Jason.encode without conversion? If you want to micro optimize, could you keep history in reverse order? Adding something to front [0 | list] is fast but adding element to end list ++ [0] is slow.

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

It comes as list of lists Exqlite.Sqlite3 — Exqlite v0.38.0 from Exqlite but the hint with the reverse order is interesting.

eksperimental

eksperimental

Yes, there is a way which is optimal.
You only iterate over your list twice.

iex> Enum.reduce(history, [], fn x, acc  ->
...>   [Tuple.to_list(x) | acc]
...> end)
...> |> :lists.reverse([Tuple.to_list(current)])
[[1, 100], [2, 300], [3, 200], [4, 150]]

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

Thank you, but I think the list reverse has to go through the entire loop a second time.

sabiwara

sabiwara

Elixir Core Team

From a purely theoretical perspective, you could implement a variant of Enum.map/2 that appends an element at the end, such as:

  def map_append([], _fun, last), do: [last]
  def map_append([head | tail], fun, last) do
    [fun.(head) | map_append(tail, fun, last)]
  end

But as you pointed out, this is probably premature optimization and I wouldn’t recommend doing this in production code :wink:

odohMei7

odohMei7 OP

I think this is the correct answer. But there is one more thing I want to know: Is this tail-recursive or does the repeated call fill the stack?

Because if it does not fill the stack then this would mean that one could append to a list cheaply in O(1), which is not possible as we all said above. So I think that the list starts to be constructed when the last map_append(,…) is evaluated and then it goes the call stack up to prepend, right?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews