Apple launches new MacBook Air and Mac Mini (and iPad Pro!)

That’s compressed and ready to stream. What comes off a current pro-level 4k camera, and what video folks work with as source, is 1-3Gbps. Even older, lower-end 4k cameras are way higher than 30-40 Mbps.

2 Likes

Hey don’t worry, Apple wasn’t picking on you because you were running an older machine, it happens to me on my brand-new one. Oh, except maybe I should note one little thing: it never did it until I finally had to install Docker :wink:

3 Likes

I thought about that but the fact that Apple could render my install useless with an update is something I wouldn’t want to deal with.

1 Like

Yes and no. Yes: because it’s not cheap for sure and we can get the same results in our normal daily work with times cheaper machines – that is true, but only if we are talking our daily programmer work and nothing else. No: because if you get the iMac Pro, you don’t have to think about upgrading your machine for 10 years, if not 15 even. And unless every app or thread in some future OS requires one physical core then I don’t see how a 16 or 32 core machine will be obsolete or underpowered anytime soon. (And if such an OS ever comes into existence, it will probably require at least 4096 cores anyway; have you seen a freshly booted Ubuntu’s htop stats?)

Be objective and speak for yourself. I have future ambitions in simulation areas which are related to having 100-to-1000 minimalistic VMs active at the same time. For such loads, a CPU with medium amount of cores and huge L-level caches, and 128GB of RAM, and NVMe drives – again, the iMac Pro with its Xeon W-2195 – is perfect. (Furthermore, my wife does 3D modelling and her GPU is holding on for dear life currently. Dual Vega 64 will shoot her into open space.)

I concede that AMD is well on their way of making the Xeon W obsolete. If they release a 32 or 64 core CPU with 64MB+ of L-level caches then I’ll definitely pause my ambitions for the iMac Pro and will observe what machines will be unleashed to the market using those components.

So AMD’s new chips? 64 core (128 ‘hyperthread’), although the cache hasn’t been revealed on it yet but I’d entirely expect 64 megs or more based on the current gen chips.

I think they advise (/warn!? :lol:) you not to update the OS when you’ve got a Hackintosh - it’s the thing that put me off too.

Re AMD’s multicore CPUs (and talking about them for production servers) we had a thread about it here: AMD's new multicore CPUs (Ryzen, Naples) and I can’t remember whether it was that thread or another now, but someone (think it may have even been ODL) said they weren’t a good fit for the BEAM (I can’t remember why now - I might have even dreamt it! :lol:)

Re whether Mac’s are specifically built for programming or not, I don’t think any computers or OS’s are really - programming itself doesn’t need anything special (apart from maybe compatibility to some degree with production environment) - however, programmers need certain things and need them to be nice. Whether that’s being able to browse the web easily and safely/make notes/edit graphics/video or screencast production/email/and even seamless integration with our phones, etc i.e, we use them for more than just programming.

I like how intuitive and generally reliable Macs are, and how they make for a pleasant overall user experience.

Having said that, I wish a viable competitor would surface - one with all of Apple’s positives but none of their (increasingly unpalatable) negatives.

1 Like

Even with that I will wait because they just announced the Zen2 platform. It’ll be a while before the next-gen AMD machines surface.

Now they have a wider bus and thus their RAM latency will drop.

Oh yes, Rome is exciting!

Have a look at this - upgrading Ram isn’t as straight forward as I thought it’d be… “It’s clearly designed to discourage users to upgrade Ram - unlike past Mac mini’s”

3 Likes

Thanks, that video is quite useful! Doing the RAM upgrade seems a bit annoying but still doable.

2 Likes

Are AMD Chips laptops Linux friendly?

Do Linux distros include all the required drivers for this chipsets?

I have a Lenovo with finger print reader and finally gave up trying to make it work. Of course I don’t need it but it’s nice to have.

What are your comments,

Best regards

Yes AMD chips work with Linux. Finger print readers on laptops are known not to work due to drivers.

Regarding AMD, they let out more details on Rome today:

(For those who don’t know that web site, the guy is extremely opinionated, very negative about Intel, and in the 2 years since I started reading the site he has turned out to be right every single time he posted something negative about Intel, so I trust his opinion that starting in 2019 AMD is going to take a huge lead on Intel in server performance…)

1 Like

Thought I’d link this here. Very interesting take on the Apple::Intel relationship. Plus look at those iPad Pro benchmarks! Apple seriously need to give them an OS that can use all that ooomph!

From that article:

The new Air is exactly that: the MacBook most people should buy, and exactly the MacBook everyone has been asking Apple to make.

Yes, but not at that ridiculous price :lol:

IMO 16GB ram and 512GB HD is minimum for a modern computer unless you are a casual user or rely on things like iCloud :confused:

1 Like

More friendly than any other, they even open source the great majority (trying for all depending on what they are allowed to release) their drivers, such as the AMD Radeon driver is open sourced into Mesa.

2 Likes

For those interested in the Air…

Don’t Buy the New MacBook Air

2 Likes

I watched that along with a few of his other videos. Can’t say I disagree, there doesn’t seem to be many advantages for the Air over the Pro. I think the only one that I’d factor in would be the newer and hopefully more reliable keyboard.

1 Like

Another scathing video - this time about the Mac Mini:

And I have to say, I have changed my mind since saying this:

That was probably one of their best live events/launches I’ve seen in a long while

On paper, it all looked good, but the price/performance appears to be worse than it ever has been for Apple products. I would love to get a 2018 MBA but I refuse to do so on principle! I love Apple products, but I can’t stand companies that screw their customers - what happened to good, honest business - where companies care about their customers? :frowning_face:

The above video: “Don’t buy the MacBook Air” is showing that even though the MacBook 12" is a little more “expensive” than the new MBA, it’s performing more stably – and if you really need a lightweight machine you should probably buy the 12" variant anyway since the MBA has fans which can get clogged if you often use it on a sofa or a bed…

My main gripe with Apple’s computers are the subpar CPUs. If I want a desktop machine with a solid CPU I either have to buy the maxed out iMac 27" 5k (€5000) or any of the iMac Pro variants which are quite expensive and the maximum configuration goes to €14000.

Everything else uses i5 CPUs… Seriously!

As it is, we have no affordable options if we want to develop on a programmer-friendly desktop Mac. :009:

1 Like