AMD's new multicore CPUs (Ryzen, Naples)

Could be a great fit for Elixir - offering (up to) twice the cores that Intel does in the same class/price range:

Their desktop/mobile cpus (Ryzen) getting a lot of attention too (offers 8 cores compared to Intel’s 4).

Do you think their servers might be a natural choice for Elixir? Anyone know anything else about them? Naples (not final name) are due out Q2 2017…

9 Likes

Looking at benchmarks of Ryzen CPU’s it looks like performance per dollar wise, AMD is simply crushing Intel as of now. Of course I mean scenarios where we are using all available resources, and not simple one thread applications, because where it comes to raw IPC (instructions per clock), intel is still ahead marginally.

3 Likes

I hope Apple will update Mac Pro, mini and MacBook Pro with Ryzen CPUs :grinning:

3 Likes

I bet they will switch to ARM earlier :slight_smile:

I would like to see server (especially BigData) CPU from AMD with lots of cores and price much more lower than $7k :smiley:
Anyway new desktop processors looks promising.

1 Like

Will see!

It’s usually been that way through-out their history. AMD’s usually been a little bit slower, but a lot cheaper. Intel is good if you have money to burn and want to max your performance, though occasionally, like now, AMD takes the lead on both price and performance.

However with IPC Intel is not necessarily always ahead, its IPC style has pros and cons so if it is better depends heavily on the workload you are doing.

1 Like

From what I read Intel and AMD have now same instructions set, and when it comes to benchmarking different software scenarios it’s there is no significant difference. One major difference is that some software (some games mainly) treat all Ryzen’s threads as physical cores, and makes no difference between logical and physical cores. This makes Ryzen lagging in performance, but is being addressed. And by Intel having more IPC, I meant benchmarks that put Ryzen’s and i7’s clocked similarly doing stuff on once core only. In that scenarios Intel’s simply performs better. But I don’t know many applications that really have only one thread, and even still most of them are not CPU, but rather I/O bound.

I know often AMD was sometimes better when it comes to performance per dollar. But I don’t remember when was last time that AMD had both processors which were more performant in most scenarios, and had lower TDP, still costing more then a half less (i7-6900k vs Ryzen 7 1800X). That’s why I wrote AMD is crushing Intel as of now :wink: And that’s why I think Naples has a very big chance to bite a big chunk of server market.

As far as I remember I had AMD CPU’s in my desktops because I don’t need top shelf performance, when I can have good enough performance for reasonable money. But Intel in my laptops because of performance per watt ratio much better in intel’s mobile CPU’s. I’m really not trying to biased here.

And first time for the past 6 years, I think that performance gain over my old six core T1100 is worth the money when I read about Ryzen’s 7 CPU’s. I’m just waiting for UEFI/BIOS stabilization so I can put fast 3200 maybe even 3400 RAM sticks into motherboard and have it work without problems. Because sadly as of now Ryzen’s platform is still a bit too young to be stable enough for me.

1 Like

Ditto, I have AMD in my desktop because I am very cheap and it has always been ‘good enough’. Though my laptop has an ARM chip, because screw the inefficient x86 instruction set! ^.^

My current desktop CPU though is the old AMD Phenom ][ 6-core, 4.2ghz or whatever it was but overclocked to as high as I could stabily get it, it is old, but still does me very well. And honestly I have no clue how it is dead. The youngest thing in my desktop aside my SSD boot drive is probably 6 years old, and the oldest is… should not be running, at all, I really have no clue how my desktop still lives… ^.^;

1 Like

That’s probably the same model as mine :slight_smile: T1100 and even it was factory clocked at 3.3 Ghz, I managed to run it for few years at 3.9 with less than perfect cooling :smiley: But recently sadly I had to downclock it to 3.4 because it ran too hot and simply strange errors started to pop up here and there :wink:

Lol, yeah I ran so many tests on mine when I first overclocked it and had to keep turning it down until it got to what it is now. I have a pretty beefy cooling unit that can circulate quickly (I used to be big into overclocking, now I’m more eh about it) but it still seems stable. I should probably run another gamut of tests on it to fully stress it and see if it is ‘still’ stable this many many years later… >.>

Hmm, SSH’ing home right quick… some stats from the linux kernel right quick:

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        Product Name: GA-890XA-UD3

Socket Designation: Socket M2
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Athlon
        Manufacturer: AMD
        Version: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor

Installed Size: 4096 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        Enabled Size: 4096 MB (Double-bank Connection)
        x4 (16 gigs total RAM, max for this motherboard, I **SO** very badly need more, 16gigs is *not* enough!)

I entirely forgot what I had… ^.^;

But this thing has been solid and lasted a very long time. This CPU was one of the only ones I bought when it was just released (like a month later) too (I usually wait a year or so, but was doing major hardware upgrades at the time) but I got it at a discount due to other purchases (like $140 I think, basically a steal) and I’m amazed it is still running…

1 Like

Tell me about your laptop with ARM chip. I am very much interested in one myself. All I need it is to run a browser, a terminal, and a ssh client (or mosh) and last for full day. Tell me you have something like that and can recommend :wink:

1 Like

They are a couple of chromebooks, one for me and one for my wife, I have a hacked up ubuntu on mine but can dual-boot between it and the chromeos. ^.^

And yes, that is precisely what I use it for, web browsing, terminal, ssh, and vnc-over-ssh. ^.^

These seem to be out now - with (affordable) servers available with 8 core chips… anyone tried these new AMDs with an Elixir project yet?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700x

I’m thinking about getting a new server soon and wondering whether I should opt for this. I’ve only had an AMD computer once (a long time a go) and unfortunately it was unstable as hell! Wonder if these new AMDs are better in that regard…

1 Like

AMD processors are much more cheaper. I would like to see Platinum 8180M AMD equivalent. :077:

2 Likes

I drool over getting one of those on my desktop, but sadly my current ancient CPU has not died yet, plus lack of money… >.>

I would suggest first to check how platform is stable and drivers for OS.
For linux Intel is king IMO .

Stability definitely concerns me - and on further looking, the intel Xeons are not too bad (price-wise) when you factor those machines usually also have a lot more ram.

For now I think I will stick with 4-cores… until I get some Elixir apps up and the need arises for more :003:

I reckon we should try and contact AMD tho, and see if they would be up to sponsoring a comparison for concurrent programming workloads… could be a big market for them if we all jump to AMD :lol:

2 Likes

I have an AMD Ryzen R7 1700 now, currently OC’d to 3.7 GHz. But it’s running Windows and I do my development on that machine in an Ubuntu VM that is set to 8 cores, so can’t really run any benchmarks there.

Really good experience for myself, no longer have to worry what apps I have open when I play games / run VMs.

3 Likes
2 Likes