pepicrft
Hey folks ![]()
I just shipped a new Elixir package to improve the ergonomics using mocking libraries like Mox or Hammox, application_module. I talked about the motivations in detail in this blog post, but I’ll leave you here with the TL;DR;
- Mox and Hammox propose to have a runtime function that reads the module from the application environment.
- This is common across all the modules whose tests will want to mocks some of their dependencies. This leads to a lot of duplications and potentially inconsistencies in how that information is structured inside the application environment.
- There might also be inconsistencies arising from how developers organize the behaviours and their default implementations.
I decided to eliminate all the duplications and embrace a more conventional approach enforced via macros. Here’s an example that illustrates the before and after using the package:
Before
defmodule MyModule do
@behaviour __MODULE__.Behaviour
def hello(name) do
application_env_module().hello(name)
end
def application_env_module() do
get_in(Application.get_env(:my_app, :modules), [:my_module]) || __MODULE__.Implementation
end
defmodule Implementation do
@behaviour MyModule.Behaviour
def hello(name) do
"Hello #{name}"
end
end
defmodule Behaviour do
@callback hello(name :: String.t()) :: any()
end
end
After
defmodule MyModule do
use Application.Module
defimplementation do
def hello(name) do
"Hello #{name}"
end
end
defbehaviour do
@callback hello(name :: String.t()) :: any()
end
end
Any feedback is truly appreciated. It was my first time implementing macros myself so I went through a bunch of hiccups and back-and-forths.
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming









