s-stepien

s-stepien

Hi

I have fairly complicated Phoenix app (but it doubt that this is Phoenix related issue?). In it I have the MyApp.Application module with start(_type, _args) function. I noticed today (after long time without working on it), that the start() function isn’t called at all. In the mix.exs file, the mod: is set correctly to that module - I haven’t changed anything there.

How one can try to debug this? What is happening before call to start() - maybe something there hangs?

I’ve tried rebuild from scratch, re-get deps, etc. And nothing, the function will not be called.
When I created new project, all seems OK in it.

I’m using Erlang/OTP 28.1 and Elixir 1.18.4

Update:
If I use MIX_ENV=prod, then I can see print at the beginning of the start() function. But I want to use the dev env :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

garrison

garrison

That start callback is what starts the Endpoint, so if it isn’t being called you have no server/app at all. Is that what you’re experiencing?

s-stepien

s-stepien OP

Well I think it is not about Endpoint (I have more children, not just the Phoenix ones). I have IO.inspect(“here”) as 1st instruction in start() function (before the children definition). And it is not printed.

And I have mix.exs with application/server definitions that are OK (I haven’t changed them for like years now).

garrison

garrison

I asked a specific question because I am trying to narrow down what is going on. If start/2 is not being called then your app must not be starting.

Is your application starting? Is the web server running? Does it work?

jswanner

jswanner

I believe @garrison is trying to get at is if any of the children in your application are running, if so then your application is running, and your endpoint is an easy one to test if it’s running.

How are you running your application? mix phx.server from the terminal, or some other way? Is it possible something is swallowing that IO you are using to debug? Instead of IO.inspect("here") you can try raise "here"

s-stepien

s-stepien OP

@garrison none of the children are started. The function is not called/entered.

@jswanner even with raise “here” it will not stop it. I’m using iex -S mix phx.server with some env variables.

Note that with MIX_ENV=prod it works, every time. With MIX_ENV=dev it does not. Only this MIX_ENV is different in invocation.

garrison

garrison

That is odd. I don’t know off the top of my head anything that would cause that behavior, though perhaps someone else will think of something.

Given that the behavior is different between environments you may want to comb through the configs for anything that could be different, though again I’m not sure what that might be.

As for your question about what happens when the application starts, it’s described quite thoroughly in the Application docs.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Then the culprit should be config/prod.exs or config/runtime.exs or any code that branches on the environment variables.

jswanner

jswanner

diff _build/{dev,prod}/lib/<app_name>/ebin/<app_name>.app
s-stepien

s-stepien OP

It seems that the issue is with:

# Watch static and templates for browser reloading.
config :myapp, MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
  live_reload: [
    patterns: [
      ~r"priv/static/.*(js|css|png|jpeg|jpg|gif|svg)$",
      ~r"priv/gettext/.*(po)$",
      ...
    ]
  ]

Without this feature configured, the dev comes up. I wonder what might be the issue here. I will double check my paths here.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I take it that you redacted the app name and module namespace in the snippet above and they’re not the same in the real code? Just making sure.

Also does this code look the same in a freshly generated project?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews