TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

This is a general discussion for how to use Elixir tooling better for development. (OTP or Phoenix projects)

Currently, I and my friend use IO.inspect everywhere in our app to debug what is not working.
We have a nice ColorIO module which enables us to IO.inspect in different colors. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one approach to development we learnt while being in JS and Python ecosystem. Just log everything to terminal.

  1. What are other ways people develop / debug their apps?
  2. Are there some good Elixir tools for debugging?
  3. Any other questions that people want to discuss, I will put them here after editing.

Thanks!

(since Elixir 1.13 mentions a lot of tooling and behind the scenes changes, I wonder if I am yet unaware of some awesome tool.)

Showing Posts 1 to 3

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

Sometimes tracing is more informative than manual IO.inspect

In tests I start tracing before the failing function is called:

test "some curious failure" do
  Rexbug.start("Schrodingbug :: return", msgs: 30)
  refute Schrodingbug.maybe_fail()
end

In dev I can run it before execution some function in UI / API request, like before logging in:

iex> Rexbug.start("Accounts :: return", msgs: 100, time: 10000)

# ... starts printing out traces of the function executed in the login flow
# ... gives a better understanding of how things fit together

Best of all it works in prod, but that use-case is already described in the project descriptions above.

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists OP

Will check it out and let you know!

Seems powerful.

Sebb

Sebb

It is. If you look into tracing, give the Rexbug print_fun option a try: print_fun

Custom function to use to print the trace messages.

So you have full control. You could eg color the trace for starters.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews