slouchpie

slouchpie

Greetings comrades,

According to: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/module-attributes.html#as-constants

Every time an attribute is read inside a function, Elixir takes a snapshot of its current value.

My question is:

In this function:

@money %{amount: 0, currency: :DOGE}

def reset_global_debt do
  for human <- Earth.list_humans() do
    update_financial_record_for_human(human, %{
      "total_amount" => @money.amount,
      "base_currency" => @money.currency
    })
  end
end

do 2 copies of @money get created, since it is “read” twice?

I hope not…

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

No. The value is basically a static constant, and in fact won’t even take up memory in the process like a normal map, since it will be just a pointer to the shared constant pool.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

Yes, the runtime memory is unaffected.
I’m wondering if there are 2 copies during compile time.

The same article says:

Therefore if you read the same attribute multiple times inside multiple functions, you may end-up making multiple copies of it. That’s usually not an issue, but if you are using functions to compute large module attributes, that can slow down compilation.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

It is as if you hand typed that map in two places. This can affect compile times, but it generally requires very large constants to be an issue.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

Perfect, thanks

NduatiK

NduatiK

To add onto the previous answer. The cost occurs when you make a change.

The following would be calculated twice. If we were doing expensive or numerous changes, it would affect the time taken to compile

@var1 1+1
@var1 1+2
pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872

@benwilson512 as a tangent here, could you please teach me how to verify this? I’d love to know how.

lud

lud

If you can read erlang you can use mix decompile to turn your compiled module into erlang source. And you will see that whenever an @attribute is used, the litteral value is present in the source.

Now if you cannot read erlang I guess you will recocgnize your own data enough to verify too.

eksperimental

eksperimental

the copies are inside your def. Note that it is not two copies only,
but 2 times the elements of Earth.list_humans()

if you don’t want to create copies, you may want want refactor your code:

@money %{amount: 0, currency: :DOGE}

def reset_global_debt do
  money = @money
  for human <- Earth.list_humans() do
    update_financial_record_for_human(human, %{
      "total_amount" => money.amount,
      "base_currency" => money.currency
    })
  end

you may even want to do

@money %{amount: 0, currency: :DOGE}

def reset_global_debt do
  amount = @money.amount
  currency = @money.currency

  for human <- Earth.list_humans() do
    update_financial_record_for_human(human, %{
      "total_amount" => amount,
      "base_currency" => currency
    })
  end
slouchpie

slouchpie OP

I don’t understand this at all, sorry.
How are the elements of Earth.list_humans() known at compile time?

eksperimental

eksperimental

Sorry, You are right. I was wrong about the part about 2 * number of Earth.list_humans(). It is just two copies.

The rest still applies. as you save from duplicating the content of @money, and access the keys of the map for every element in list_humans at run time.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews