arcadian

arcadian

I have been reading “Polished Ruby Programming” by Jeremy Evans and am really enjoying it. He has one chapter, chapter 9, on Metaprogramming, and another, chapter 10, on DSLs.

His examples are quite accessible, like for example he starts by creating a class where, when you call it with a missing method and argument to evaluate, it uses missing_method to actually create a method returning that result. So write myclass.foo 4 + 8, and from then on myclass.foo will evaluate to 12.

There is also another example - quite funny IMO - where he creates a module named “Rusty” where you can define functions with fn instead of def, and do it in one line. So within that module you can write fn :rand, “Time.now.usec/1000000.0”, and when you call myclass.rand you get a psuedo-random number based on the time fraction.

And another example where he uses method missing at the kernel level to give ruby an always accessible words(x y z) function that returns an array of those words as symbols, i.e. [:x :y :z], although admittedly that one looked like dark magic to me.

I was wondering whether elixir had any examples like this, since I know that the language was influenced by Ruby and has similar metaprogramming capabilities. Ultimately I would like to understand how modules that create their own DSLs function, like for example how Phoenix does its routing via the module in the router.ex file.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

cloudytoday

cloudytoday

To add to the above, official guides on macros are decent for getting going.

See the very end of the side bar for the next two chapters.
You can also just google stuff, in my experience it’s quite accessible and sometimes can even be useful.
Then, official documentation will come very handy.

BartOtten

BartOtten

Addendum: Read the book before the Erlangelist posts. The former is a very gentle introduction and will show you many tecniques (for your examples). The latter goes deep really fast (but goes to (dark) places the book nevers goes) :slight_smile:

But yeah, those two are indeed all you need

Sebb

Sebb

the book is 8 years old, is it still valid?

D4no0

D4no0

The Metaprogramming Elixir very much, I always tend to return to it when I forget how to do some shenanigans in my macros.

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

I’m not sure what you mean by valid. If you mean completely up to date with any new things they added since then, then no. If you want to know the fundamentals then yes.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Off the top of my head I can’t really think of anything that has been added on the macro front honestly.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I could see books that predate Code.quoted_to_algebra having to spend a lot of effort making AST → code transformations, but that’s more “macro-adjacent” than macro-related.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Metaprogramming in Elixir is more than macros. Arguably the non-macro parts are more accessible, easier to understand and less potentially obfuscating so I typically recommend starting there. And yes, Chris’s book is great (first Elixir book I bought way back when).

Its also a testament to José’s original language design that the AST hasn’t fundamentally changed. Some changes to the metadata to support improvements to the overall developer experience but that’s about it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews