Are there any learning resources that are specifically dedicated to backend elixir development?

Hi,

Are there any learning resources that are specifically dedicated to backend elixir development?

I would like to start up skilling my elixir abilities and be able to confidently apply for backend development positions without having to spread myself across the full stack of an application.

Everything I have found so far is Elixir / Phoenix and I wonder if this would miss out on some of the nuances that would be backend specific. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nathan

2 Likes

When you say “backend” do you have something specific in mind? Generally when I hear “backend” I think backend of a web service, so a REST or GraphQL server. If that’s what you have in mind then you’d still want to learn Phoenix because it is an excellent backend web server. Here’s a specific guide by forum member @zenw0lf that might be helpful:

If you want something non-web related then you might be interested in one of:

Scenic for GUI development:

Nerves for Embedded systems:

Membrane to work with multimedia:
https://www.membraneframework.org/

2 Likes

Thanks.

I am looking to apply for more backend roles, rather than full stack roles and wondering what put me in good stead in this regard - as in elixir specific content. Microservices would be beneficial I imagine.

I notice that a lot of backend dev jobs specify graphql, so that is something I will look into.

Nerves is something I am aware of, but never actually played with. I will check it out.

For your specific case probably Groxio’s Elixir and OTP courses (they also have full on trainings). Here are a few overall:

Courses

Tutorials

Thanks - thats great.

1 Like

Oh, one last thought:

These two books:

Thumbs up.