rickmutua

rickmutua

[info] POST /api/sessions
[debug] Processing with Chatty.SessionController.create/2
  Parameters: %{"email" => "email@gmail.com", "password" => "[FILTERED]"}
  Pipelines: [:api]
[debug] QUERY OK source="users" db=2.1ms
SELECT u0."id", u0."email", u0."first_name", u0."last_name", u0."username", u0."phone", u0."password_hash", u0."is_admin", u0."inserted_at", u0."updated_at" FROM "users" AS u0 WHERE (u0."email" = $1) ["email@gmail.com"]
[info] Sent 500 in 5ms
[error] #PID<0.624.0> running Chatty.Endpoint (cowboy_protocol) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: POST /api/sessions
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (ArgumentError) argument error
        :erlang.apply(%Chatty.User{__meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "users">, email: "email@gmail.com", first_name: "first", id: 1, inserted_at: ~N[2018-07-02 18:33:29.885849], is_admin: false, last_name: "last", password: nil, password_hash: "$argon2i$v=19$m=256,t=1,p=1$lxRElye2Y8Fb92yIkqqqXw$UTfq1T37XQEGhRgJFDXlwqCjd0uuN0H8RxRVJX5lIzo", phone: "number", updated_at: ~N[2018-07-02 18:33:29.887999], username: "username"}, :config, [])
        (guardian) lib/guardian.ex:776: Guardian.token_module/1
        (guardian) lib/guardian.ex:576: Guardian.encode_and_sign/4
        (guardian) lib/guardian/plug.ex:179: Guardian.Plug.sign_in/5
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:10: Chatty.SessionController.create/2
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:1: Chatty.SessionController.action/2
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:1: Chatty.SessionController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.instrument/4
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router.ex:278: Phoenix.Router.__call__/1
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (chatty) lib/plug/debugger.ex:102: Chatty.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.call/2
        (plug) lib/plug/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:16: Plug.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.upgrade/4
        (cowboy) /home/erick/Desktop/second/api/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_protocol.erl:442: :cowboy_protocol.execute/4

What could be the issue?

below is session_controller file:

defmodule Chatty.SessionController do
  use Chatty.Web, :controller

  alias Chatty.User


  def create(conn, params) do
    case authenticate(params) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        new_conn = Guardian.Plug.sign_in(conn, user, :access)
        jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(new_conn)

        new_conn
        |> put_status(:created)
        |> render("show.json", user: user, jwt: jwt)
      :error ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unauthorized)
        |> render("error.json")
    end
  end

  def delete(conn, _) do
    jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(conn)
    Guardian.revoke!(jwt)

    conn
    |> put_status(:ok)
    |> render("delete.json")
  end

  def refresh(conn, _params) do
    user = Guardian.Plug.current_resource(conn)
    jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(conn)
    {:ok, claims} = Guardian.Plug.current_claims(conn)

    case Guardian.refresh!(jwt, claims, %{ttl: {30, :days}}) do
      {:ok, new_jwt, _new_claims} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:ok)
        |> render("show.json", user: user, jwt: new_jwt)
      {:error, _reason} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unauthorized)
        |> render("forbidden.json", error: "Not authenticated")
    end
  end

  def unauthenticated(conn, _params) do
    conn
    |> put_status(:forbidden)
    |> render(Chatty.SessionView, "forbidden.json", error: "Not Authenticated")
  end

  defp authenticate(%{"email" => email, "password" => password}) do
    user = Repo.get_by(Chatty.User, email: String.downcase(email))

    case check_password(user, password) do
      true -> {:ok, user}
      _ -> :error
    end
  end

  defp check_password(user, password) do
    case user do
      nil -> Comeonin.Argon2.dummy_checkpw()
      _ -> Comeonin.Argon2.checkpw(password, user.password_hash)
    end
  end
end

and below is the user_controller file:

defmodule Chatty.UserController do
  use Chatty.Web, :controller

  alias Chatty.User

  plug Guardian.Plug.EnsureAuthenticated, [handler: Chatty.SessionController] when action in [:rooms]


  def create(conn, params) do
    changeset = User.registration_changeset(%User{}, params)

    case Repo.insert(changeset) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        new_conn = Guardian.Plug.sign_in(conn, user, :access)
        jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(new_conn)

        new_conn
        |> put_status(:created)
        |> render(Chatty.SessionView, "show.json", user: user, jwt: jwt)
      {:error, changeset} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unprocessable_entity)
        |> render(Chatty.ChangesetView, "error.json", changeset: changeset)
    end
  end

  def delete(conn, %{"id" => id}) do
    user = Repo.get!(User, id)

    # Here we use delete! (with a bang) because we expect
    # it to always work (and if it does not, it will raise).
    Repo.delete!(user)

    send_resp(conn, :no_content, "")
  end

  def rooms(conn, _params) do
    current_user = Guardian.Plug.current_resource(conn)
    rooms = Repo.all(assoc(current_user, :rooms))
    render(conn, Chatty.RoomView, "index.json", %{rooms: rooms})
  end

end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

:erlang.apply/3 is called with wrong kind of arguments.

Usually the first argument should be a module name.

But how this actually happened remains to be unknown until you show us some more code, especially the Chatty.SessionController.create/2 might be interesting.

rickmutua

rickmutua OP

sorry, added the Session and User Controller file

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

As I recall you have to define some kind of conversion file to convert a custom type like that user record into a JWT string and back again, can you show that module? (I might be mistaken on that but I thought it needed such a module?)

NobbZ

NobbZ

According to the (sparse) documentation, the second parameter to Guardian.Plug.sign_in/5 has to be an atom, but user (which is the result of Repo.insert/1) is a struct, not an atom.

But as I said, documentation is very sparse, and I’m not sure if the @spec is actually correct. And I do not use Guardian as I find its usage a bit strange. It feels wrong to use Guardian.Plug anywhere outside of a plug call. But maybe thats just me.

rickmutua

rickmutua OP

I don’t have a conversion module. didn’t see anywhere on the guardian documentation about converting but I will have a look around

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Just a question I always ask when I see someone using Guardian: What functionality are you needing of JWT that a normal Phoenix Token doesn’t give you? If none then you really really should not be using Guardian as it is quite a bit more heavy-weight and geared toward specific purposes.

rickmutua

rickmutua OP

am fairly new to elixir and there is an app am trying to build and the closest tutorial I could get to what am trying to create uses Guardian so I decided to try it out. :man_shrugging:t5: looks like it wasn’t the smartest idea

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Guardian is fantastic for JWT uses, but for any other case the built-in Phoenix.Token tends to be far more efficient, and there are some framework around that are built on it’s ideals all depending on what you are trying to accomplish. :slight_smile:

Specifically ‘what’ are you doing, just specifying a login endpoint for a JSON API? Do you want to store the authorization as a returned token (easier use for things like curl), in the session (better for sitewide javascript API’s), or both?

rickmutua

rickmutua OP

the front-end is in react, instead of creating a new connection and signing in a user, am using Guardian’s refresh function, passing in the current jwt and claims, and receive a new jwt that is good for another 30 days. registration works but login fails after the user is created

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Hmm, 30 days implies some kind of client-side storage for the token, are you using local storage? If you are using local storage how are you handling the security issues around storing secure data in it? If you are using cookies then why not just use Phoenix’s standard session handling (which is already secure)? How do you elapse such a token if someone needs to be force disabled or it is revealed or so? Etc…? :slight_smile:

So far I’m leaning to the standard Phoenix session handling should probably be used, but need more information… :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews