Argument error whenever I try to login

[info] POST /api/sessions
[debug] Processing with Chatty.SessionController.create/2
  Parameters: %{"email" => "email@gmail.com", "password" => "[FILTERED]"}
  Pipelines: [:api]
[debug] QUERY OK source="users" db=2.1ms
SELECT u0."id", u0."email", u0."first_name", u0."last_name", u0."username", u0."phone", u0."password_hash", u0."is_admin", u0."inserted_at", u0."updated_at" FROM "users" AS u0 WHERE (u0."email" = $1) ["email@gmail.com"]
[info] Sent 500 in 5ms
[error] #PID<0.624.0> running Chatty.Endpoint (cowboy_protocol) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: POST /api/sessions
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (ArgumentError) argument error
        :erlang.apply(%Chatty.User{__meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "users">, email: "email@gmail.com", first_name: "first", id: 1, inserted_at: ~N[2018-07-02 18:33:29.885849], is_admin: false, last_name: "last", password: nil, password_hash: "$argon2i$v=19$m=256,t=1,p=1$lxRElye2Y8Fb92yIkqqqXw$UTfq1T37XQEGhRgJFDXlwqCjd0uuN0H8RxRVJX5lIzo", phone: "number", updated_at: ~N[2018-07-02 18:33:29.887999], username: "username"}, :config, [])
        (guardian) lib/guardian.ex:776: Guardian.token_module/1
        (guardian) lib/guardian.ex:576: Guardian.encode_and_sign/4
        (guardian) lib/guardian/plug.ex:179: Guardian.Plug.sign_in/5
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:10: Chatty.SessionController.create/2
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:1: Chatty.SessionController.action/2
        (chatty) web/controllers/api/session_controller.ex:1: Chatty.SessionController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.instrument/4
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router.ex:278: Phoenix.Router.__call__/1
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (chatty) lib/plug/debugger.ex:102: Chatty.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (chatty) lib/chatty/endpoint.ex:1: Chatty.Endpoint.call/2
        (plug) lib/plug/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:16: Plug.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.upgrade/4
        (cowboy) /home/erick/Desktop/second/api/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_protocol.erl:442: :cowboy_protocol.execute/4

What could be the issue?

below is session_controller file:

defmodule Chatty.SessionController do
  use Chatty.Web, :controller

alias Chatty.User

def create(conn, params) do
    case authenticate(params) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        new_conn = Guardian.Plug.sign_in(conn, user, :access)
        jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(new_conn)

new_conn
        |> put_status(:created)
        |> render("show.json", user: user, jwt: jwt)
      :error ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unauthorized)
        |> render("error.json")
    end
  end

def delete(conn, _) do
    jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(conn)
    Guardian.revoke!(jwt)

conn
    |> put_status(:ok)
    |> render("delete.json")
  end

def refresh(conn, _params) do
    user = Guardian.Plug.current_resource(conn)
    jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(conn)
    {:ok, claims} = Guardian.Plug.current_claims(conn)

case Guardian.refresh!(jwt, claims, %{ttl: {30, :days}}) do
      {:ok, new_jwt, _new_claims} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:ok)
        |> render("show.json", user: user, jwt: new_jwt)
      {:error, _reason} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unauthorized)
        |> render("forbidden.json", error: "Not authenticated")
    end
  end

def unauthenticated(conn, _params) do
    conn
    |> put_status(:forbidden)
    |> render(Chatty.SessionView, "forbidden.json", error: "Not Authenticated")
  end

defp authenticate(%{"email" => email, "password" => password}) do
    user = Repo.get_by(Chatty.User, email: String.downcase(email))

case check_password(user, password) do
      true -> {:ok, user}
      _ -> :error
    end
  end

defp check_password(user, password) do
    case user do
      nil -> Comeonin.Argon2.dummy_checkpw()
      _ -> Comeonin.Argon2.checkpw(password, user.password_hash)
    end
  end
end

and below is the user_controller file:

defmodule Chatty.UserController do
  use Chatty.Web, :controller

alias Chatty.User

plug Guardian.Plug.EnsureAuthenticated, [handler: Chatty.SessionController] when action in [:rooms]

def create(conn, params) do
    changeset = User.registration_changeset(%User{}, params)

case Repo.insert(changeset) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        new_conn = Guardian.Plug.sign_in(conn, user, :access)
        jwt = Guardian.Plug.current_token(new_conn)

new_conn
        |> put_status(:created)
        |> render(Chatty.SessionView, "show.json", user: user, jwt: jwt)
      {:error, changeset} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unprocessable_entity)
        |> render(Chatty.ChangesetView, "error.json", changeset: changeset)
    end
  end

def delete(conn, %{"id" => id}) do
    user = Repo.get!(User, id)

# Here we use delete! (with a bang) because we expect
    # it to always work (and if it does not, it will raise).
    Repo.delete!(user)

send_resp(conn, :no_content, "")
  end

def rooms(conn, _params) do
    current_user = Guardian.Plug.current_resource(conn)
    rooms = Repo.all(assoc(current_user, :rooms))
    render(conn, Chatty.RoomView, "index.json", %{rooms: rooms})
  end

end

:erlang.apply/3 is called with wrong kind of arguments.

Usually the first argument should be a module name.

But how this actually happened remains to be unknown until you show us some more code, especially the Chatty.SessionController.create/2 might be interesting.

1 Like

sorry, added the Session and User Controller file

As I recall you have to define some kind of conversion file to convert a custom type like that user record into a JWT string and back again, can you show that module? (I might be mistaken on that but I thought it needed such a module?)

According to the (sparse) documentation, the second parameter to Guardian.Plug.sign_in/5 has to be an atom, but user (which is the result of Repo.insert/1) is a struct, not an atom.

But as I said, documentation is very sparse, and I’m not sure if the @spec is actually correct. And I do not use Guardian as I find its usage a bit strange. It feels wrong to use Guardian.Plug anywhere outside of a plug call. But maybe thats just me.

1 Like

I don’t have a conversion module. didn’t see anywhere on the guardian documentation about converting but I will have a look around

Just a question I always ask when I see someone using Guardian: What functionality are you needing of JWT that a normal Phoenix Token doesn’t give you? If none then you really really should not be using Guardian as it is quite a bit more heavy-weight and geared toward specific purposes.

2 Likes

am fairly new to elixir and there is an app am trying to build and the closest tutorial I could get to what am trying to create uses Guardian so I decided to try it out. :man_shrugging:t5: looks like it wasn’t the smartest idea

Guardian is fantastic for JWT uses, but for any other case the built-in Phoenix.Token tends to be far more efficient, and there are some framework around that are built on it’s ideals all depending on what you are trying to accomplish. :slight_smile:

Specifically ‘what’ are you doing, just specifying a login endpoint for a JSON API? Do you want to store the authorization as a returned token (easier use for things like curl), in the session (better for sitewide javascript API’s), or both?

1 Like

the front-end is in react, instead of creating a new connection and signing in a user, am using Guardian’s refresh function, passing in the current jwt and claims, and receive a new jwt that is good for another 30 days. registration works but login fails after the user is created

Hmm, 30 days implies some kind of client-side storage for the token, are you using local storage? If you are using local storage how are you handling the security issues around storing secure data in it? If you are using cookies then why not just use Phoenix’s standard session handling (which is already secure)? How do you elapse such a token if someone needs to be force disabled or it is revealed or so? Etc…? :slight_smile:

So far I’m leaning to the standard Phoenix session handling should probably be used, but need more information… :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes am using local storage. this post https://medium.com/@benhansen/lets-build-a-slack-clone-with-elixir-phoenix-and-react-part-1-project-setup-3252ae780a1 has been my reference point

Fixed it

Hello!
I’m facing similar problem as yours and I’m interested in knowing how did you solve your issue.

Am I still on time to ask you for a little more detail?

Thanks in advance

For future reference @NobbZ said

the :erlang.apply/3 is called with wrong kind of arguments. Usually the first argument should be a module name.

So usually the problem is that you might be invoking the Guardian.encode_and_sign_in function without alliasing MyApp.Guardian and that’s why you get this wierd looking error so either alias MyApp.Guardian at the start of your file or just use MyApp.Guardian.encode_and_sign_in.

Guardian.Plug.sign_in calls Guardian.encode_and_sign/4 with the given parameters - that function expects its first argument (the one after conn in sign_in) to work with Guardian.token_module. Looks like that should be the name of the module in your code that calls use Guardian.

FWIW, the code in Guardian.Plug is not intended for direct use - saying use Guardian in that implementation module creates a specialized implementation of the plug:

So instead of calling Guardian.Plug.sign_in you’d call YourImplementationModule.Plug.sign_in which takes care of passing the implementation module behind the scenes.

1 Like