Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann

(Please note: Elixir Experience Level: Beginner)


** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.lookup_element(:hackney_config, :mod_metrics, 2)
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_metrics.erl:27: :hackney_metrics.get_engine/0
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:78: :hackney_connect.create_connection/5
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:47: :hackney_connect.connect/5
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney.erl:333: :hackney.request/5
    lib/httpoison/base.ex:793: HTTPoison.Base.request/6
    lib/pump.ex:11: Pump.get_trading_activity/0

How do I resolve this error?

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

darnahsan

darnahsan

There should be error indicating issue ets encoutered. I have had my fair share of issues with ets and the community is great with noobs to help them out. you can check out my issue to know what stracktrace I am referring to and also might help you in debugging

NobbZ

NobbZ

As far as I remember ets will give an argument error when the table does not exist.

This again could happen if the owning application isn’t started yet.

Could you perhaps show us your code? At least the function around line 11 in pump.ex, as that’s the initial caller in the stack trace.

Also, how do you run your program to get this error?

dom

dom

Erlang/Elixir libraries are packaged as applications, with start and stop functions responsible for initializing or tearing down everything the app needs to run: supervision tree, registered processes, ETS tables, etc.

In this case the missing resource is an ETS table which Hackney creates when it starts:

https://github.com/benoitc/hackney/blob/1.15.2/src/hackney_app.erl#L21

https://github.com/benoitc/hackney/blob/1.15.2/src/hackney_sup.erl#L40

Most likely you can fix it by ensuring Hackney is started. In mix.exs, how did you specify the dependency? Make sure it doesn’t have a flag like runtime: false or only: :test.

If you’re on an old Elixir, you may also have to add it under applications, which controls what applications (dependencies) get started before your app. More modern Elixir uses extra_applications instead and generally figure out dependencies automatically.

If you didn’t specify Hackney as a dependency at all - then perhaps it got brought in indirectly by HTTPoison. Then you need to make sure that HTTPoison is being started instead, which should automatically start Hackney.

There’s some more discussion on that in the tutorial: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/supervisor-and-application.html#the-application-callback

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Here’s the code:

def get_trading_activity do

 		case HTTPoison.get("https://api.wavesplatform.com/v0/pairs") do
			{:ok, _} ->
			results = HTTPoison.get!("https://api.wavesplatform.com/v0/pairs")

			%{data: items} = Poison.decode!(results.body, keys: :atoms)
			
			market_snapshot = Enum.map(items, fn item ->
  				%{
    					asset: item.amountAsset,
    					priced_in: item.priceAsset,
    					last: get_in(item, [:data, :lastPrice]),					
    					volume: get_in(item, [:data, :volumeWaves])
  				}
				    end)

			#IO.inspect(market_snapshot, limit: :infinity)

		#Exclude all pairs with volumeWAVES < 500

			volume_greater_than_500 = Enum.filter(market_snapshot, fn map -> map.volume >= 500 end)
			
			#IO.inspect(volume_greater_than_500, limit: :infinity) 
			
			total_pairs = Enum.count(volume_greater_than_500, &(&1.asset))  
			
			opportunities = [total_pairs: total_pairs] ++ volume_greater_than_500			
					
			{:error, %Elixir.HTTPoison.Error{reason: reason}} ->
 			
			IO.inspect reason

		end

Here’s how the error came up:

$ iex -S mix compile
Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.2.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Compiling 1 file (.ex)
warning: variable "opportunities" is unused (if the variable is not meant to be used, prefix it with an underscore)
  lib/pump.ex:36

warning: unused alias Asset_Pairs
  lib/pump.ex:3

warning: unused alias Repo
  lib/pump.ex:3

Interactive Elixir (1.8.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> Pump.get_trading_activity
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.lookup_element(:hackney_config, :mod_metrics, 2)
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_metrics.erl:27: :hackney_metrics.get_engine/0
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:78: :hackney_connect.create_connection/5
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:47: :hackney_connect.connect/5
    /home/maxximiliann/arbit/deps/hackney/src/hackney.erl:333: :hackney.request/5
    lib/httpoison/base.ex:793: HTTPoison.Base.request/6
    lib/pump.ex:11: Pump.get_trading_activity/0

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

From mix.exs:

defmodule Arbit.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [
      app: :arbit,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.8",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps()
    ]
  end


  def application do
    [
      extra_applications: [:logger]
    ]
  end


  defp deps do
    [
    	{:httpoison, "~> 1.6"},
	{:poison, "~> 4.0"},
	{:postgrex, "~> 0.15.1"},
	{:ecto_sql, "~> 3.2.0"}
    ]
  end
end

Is this correct?

dom

dom

It looks fine. Try iex -S mix (or iex -S mix run) rather than iex -S mix compile.

mix run loads and runs your application and its dependencies, whereas mix compile only compiles the application without starting it. You’ll see the difference if you call Application.started_applications() in your iex shell after starting it.

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Perfect! That did it. Thanks so much!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

maz

maz

I encountered the same error when running integration changes on prod when initializing the meilisearch-elixir module. What was really odd was I wasn’t encountering this error stack on a separate project using the same module. So I’m assuming it was a race condition here:

faithful_word    | ** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:
faithful_word    | 
faithful_word    |   * 1st argument: the table identifier does not refer to an existing ETS table
faithful_word    | 
faithful_word    |     (stdlib 3.15.2) :ets.lookup_element(:hackney_config, :mod_metrics, 2)
faithful_word    |     /app/deps/hackney/src/hackney_metrics.erl:27: :hackney_metrics.get_engine/0
faithful_word    |     /app/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:75: :hackney_connect.create_connection/5
faithful_word    |     /app/deps/hackney/src/hackney_connect.erl:44: :hackney_connect.connect/5
faithful_word    |     /app/deps/hackney/src/hackney.erl:335: :hackney.request/5
faithful_word    |     lib/httpoison/base.ex:846: HTTPoison.Base.request/6
faithful_word    |     lib/meilisearch/http.ex:40: Meilisearch.HTTP.delete_request/3
faithful_word    |     (stdlib 3.15.2) erl_eval.erl:685: :erl_eval.do_apply/6

The solution was quite similar, I had to ensure that :httpoison and :poison were started before launching:

defmodule FaithfulWord.ReleaseTasks do
  @start_apps [
    :crypto,
    :ssl,
    :postgrex,
    :ecto,
    :ecto_sql,
    :httpoison, # add
    :poison # add
  ]

... 
  defp start_services do
    IO.puts("Starting dependencies..")
    # Start apps necessary for executing migrations
    Enum.each(@start_apps, &Application.ensure_all_started/1)

    # Start the Repo(s) for app
    IO.puts("Starting repos..")
    Enum.each(@repos, & &1.start_link(pool_size: 2))
  end
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

That shouldn’t be necessary since Elixir can infer the required start order by default. Are you setting :applications in mix.exs? Or are you setting runtime: false on those deps?

maz

maz

Not setting :applications in mix.exs nor setting runtime: false on those deps. Should I be setting :applications?

this is my config in mix.exs:

  def project do
    [
      app: :faithful_word,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.12",
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env()),
      compilers: [:phoenix, :gettext] ++ Mix.compilers(),
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      aliases: aliases(),
      deps: deps(),
      releases: releases()
    ]
  end
  defp releases do
    [
      faithful_word: [
        version: "0.1.0",
        applications: [
          faithful_word: :permanent
        ]
      ]
    ]
  end

EDIT:

  def application do
    [
      mod: {FaithfulWord.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :iex]
    ]
  end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews