tyatin

tyatin

Hello,

I am new to elixir and phoenix.
and I get into compilation error:

== Compilation error in file lib/ex_admin/paginate.ex ==
** (ArgumentError) *gettext macros expect translation keys (msgid and msgid_plural) and
domains to expand to strings at compile-time, but the given msgid
doesn’t.

Dynamic translations should be avoided as they limit gettext’s
ability to extract translations from your source code. If you are
sure you need dynamic lookup, you can use the functions in the Gettext
module:

when I check error lines, it fail on <> operator

text gettext "Displaying" <> " "

if I change the syntax without <> operator it compiles ok.

Please advise what could be wrong
Thanks
Serge

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

gettext is using the elixir AST to determine if the supplied msgid is just a string or something more involved. In your case the AST for "Displaying" <> " " is no longer just a string, but something which does result in a string when being executed. The execution of it would only happen at runtime so the compiler does not yet know the resulting string to work with and therefore returns an error. One could say that the compiler should optimize away the concat operator in such cases, but it seems that’s just not the case right now.

tyatin

tyatin OP

@LostKobrakai Thanks for the explanation !

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

@LostKobrakai

gettext is using the elixir AST to determine if the supplied msgid is just a string or something more involved. In your case the AST for "Displaying" <> " " is no longer just a string , but something which does result in a string when being executed. The execution of it would only happen at runtime so the compiler does not yet know the resulting string to work with and therefore returns an error.

How can I then use gettext to translate the text contained in a variable gettext some_variable. I run into Gettext macros expect translation keys (msgid and msgid_plural) as expected but what is the solution if the text I want to translate is inside a variable?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Use the functions in the Gettext module instead of the macros of MyApp.Gettext.

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Thank you for the help @LostKobrakai

Can I ask you what are domain-based translations? I don’t understand:

# Simple translation
gettext("Here is one string to translate")

# Plural translation
number_of_apples = 4
ngettext("The apple is ripe", "The apples are ripe", number_of_apples)

# Domain-based translation
dgettext("errors", "Here is an error message to translate")

What is “errors” for in the last example?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The domain makes gettext output a errors.pot, where you can have different translations to default.pot even for the same translatable string.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews