anurag.peshne

anurag.peshne

what is the closest thing to Arrays in Elixir. By arrays I mean, a container for values which I can access in constant time.

I’ve looked at tuple, but according to the documentation:

Tuples are not meant to be used as a “collection” type (which is also suggested by the absence of an implementation of the Enumerable protocol for tuples): they’re mostly meant to be used as a fixed-size container for multiple elements.

What I actually want to do:
I want to store n processes in an array and periodically pick a random process and send it a message.
I’m open to other suggestions too.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

sjoconnor

sjoconnor

You’re probably looking for List. You could then do something like this to grab a random entry:

[1,2,3] |> Enum.take_random(1)

anurag.peshne

anurag.peshne OP

Unfortunately this will traverse list linearly. I’m looking for constant time lookup.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You can use a map, and periodically pick a random key ?!

anurag.peshne

anurag.peshne OP

Yes, that’s the last resort. I just want to make sure I’m not missing any data structure.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

There is also Keyword, but the order of the key is not preserved over 32000 keys… and they act as List, so there is no constant time access.

For your use case, I would probably choose a map.

kylethebaker

kylethebaker

Does order matter? Do you need to access items by key or just at random? Map has been mentioned, but there is also MapSet if you don’t need keys. Both implement the enumerable protocol, so to get a random value you can pass it to Enum.random. What I’ve done in the past when I want constant time lookups by key and also maintain order is to create two structures: a map for the constant lookups, and a list of keys for the order.

You may also consider looking into using a Registry if you want a container for processes, though for your use case it might be easier to just keep simple collection of pids.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You may want to elaborate on your use case. Various datastructures (including arrays) have various performance characteristics for different kinds of operations and without knowing what operations you have in mind, it’s hard to recommend the best approach.

Tuples have constant lookup time, but have to be copied wholesale for every change, which is generally undesirable.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This seems wrong. A keyword list is just a list, and lists preserve their order at all sizes.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

@benwilson512 Yes You are right, it’s map which doesn’t keep order over 32 keys…

I have been mixing up, both types and numbers :frowning:

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ah yeah. For maps it’s best to treat them as if they have no order at all, the fact that they happen to preserve order under 32 keys is explicitly just an artifact of how the algorithm works and should never be relied upon.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews