michallepicki

michallepicki

Hello!

To save some time when switching projects or development machines, I glued together an asdf plugin that uses Erlang precompiled by Bob thanks to the great Hex.pm team. If you’re using the GitHub erlef/setup-beam action or hexpm docker images, there’s a chance you’re already using those builds on CI or in production - now you should be able to use them in your development environment as well.

Here are the plugins:
asdf-erlang-prebuilt-ubuntu-20.04
asdf-erlang-prebuilt-ubuntu-18.04

All I did is I forked asdf-elixir and made a few changes to adjust it for Erlang.

I don’t have much experience with packaging or distributing Erlang, all the work has been done by the Hex.pm team, and hopefully it works and is suitable to be used this way as well.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Eiji

Eiji

Personally I would go with elixir way and provide ERLANG-VERSION-ubuntu-20.04 build just like ELIXIR-VERSION-otp-24 (in original erlang plugin). With this we can easily go also with alpine builds.

michallepicki

michallepicki OP

I don’t plan to add any more platforms, advanced features or configurations, hopefully we’ll be able to provide this functionality in the main asdf-erlang plugin somehow and avoid fragmentation. There is an open issue for it.

michallepicki

michallepicki OP

Updating the thread with the newest (and not-so-new anymore info), here are plugins for newer Ubuntu versions:
asdf-erlang-prebuilt-ubuntu-22.04
asdf-erlang-prebuilt-ubuntu-24.04

rogach

rogach

I’ve tweaked your plugin to support all available Ubuntu versions and architectures: https://github.com/Rogach/asdf-erlang-prebuilt

So you can do “asdf install erlang 27.0.1-ubuntu-22.04-amd64” for example.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews