rgraff
Ash Core Team
I have a resource that has an attribute that is an array of embedded resources.
I have module calculation that maps the embedded resources and returns a list of values. Pretty trivial in elixir. I’d like to also implement this as an Ash expression so that can be selected (and filtered against) at the data layer (postgres).
def calculate(records, opts, _) do
Enum.map(records, fn record ->
Map.get(record, opts[:embedded_resources])
|> Enum.map(fn embedded_resource ->
Map.get(embedded_resource, opts[:embedded_attribute])
end)
end)
end
Is this possible with Ash expressions? Or should I just normalize this and have an attribute on record that is set on create/update?
I’ve experimented with doing this as a SQL fragment but that requires unnesting the embedded resource, lateral joining tables, and grouping. Technically possible, but doesn’t make for an Ash expression.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
There is nothing in Ash expressions that will currently let you do that unfortunately. You’ll either need to use a fragment or normalize the value you want calculated into an attribute.
rgraff
Do you know if it’s possible with a fragment? The only way I’ve been able to do it is by unnesting the embedded resources into a subquery and then grouping the unnested values back together?
zachdaniel
You can do entire subqueries in a fragment:
adw632
If you’re using Postgres jsonb columns then you can do aggregates with one of the json aggregrate functions. Postgres aggregates are listed here.