thawke

thawke

I’m attempting to create a resource that has a :datetime attribute:

attribute :pickup_time, :datetime do
  public? true
  allow_nil? false
end

The resource is setup with AshEvents and is set to log the events with the following code:

events do
    event_log(Api.Events.Event)
end

If I post to the creation endpoint with invalid data, like an integer for example, I get the expected error:

{
  "errors": [
    {
      "code": "invalid_attribute",
      "id": "6a24f1be-5c2c-497d-b860-246d8f7d0ecf",
      "meta": {},
      "status": "400",
      "title": "InvalidAttribute",
      "source": {
        "pointer": "/data/attributes/pickup_time"
      },
      "detail": "Could not cast input to datetime"
    }
  ],
  "jsonapi": {
    "version": "1.0"
  }
}

However if I send "pickup_time": "2025-07-15" or "pickup_time": "2025-07-15 00:00:00" then it seems to pass validation but (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:23 appears to throw a match error. (Value returned from dump_to_embedded is :error)

Full stack trace:

[error] ** (Ash.Error.Unknown) 
Bread Crumbs:
  > Exception raised in: Api.Shipments.Shipment.create

Unknown Error

* ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: :error
  (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:23: AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.dump_value/2
  (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:54: anonymous fn/2 in AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.create_event!/4
  (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:1722: anonymous fn/3 in Enum.map/2
  (stdlib 6.2.2.1) maps.erl:860: :maps.fold_1/4
  (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:2558: Enum.map/2
  (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:47: AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.create_event!/4
  (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/create_action_wrapper.ex:19: AshEvents.CreateActionWrapper.create/3
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:309: anonymous fn/6 in Ash.Actions.Create.commit/3
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4645: Ash.Changeset.run_around_actions/2
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4181: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
  (api 0.1.0) lib/api/repo.ex:2: anonymous fn/1 in Api.Repo."transaction (overridable 1)"/2
  (ecto 3.13.2) lib/ecto/repo/transaction.ex:7: anonymous fn/2 in Ecto.Repo.Transaction.transact/4
  (ecto_sql 3.13.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:1458: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Adapters.SQL.checkout_or_transaction/4
  (db_connection 2.8.0) lib/db_connection.ex:1753: DBConnection.run_transaction/4
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4179: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4323: anonymous fn/2 in Ash.Changeset.transaction_hooks/2
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4166: Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:261: Ash.Actions.Create.commit/3
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:132: Ash.Actions.Create.do_run/4
  (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:50: Ash.Actions.Create.run/4
    (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:23: AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.dump_value/2
    (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:54: anonymous fn/2 in AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.create_event!/4
    (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:1722: anonymous fn/3 in Enum.map/2
    (stdlib 6.2.2.1) maps.erl:860: :maps.fold_1/4
    (elixir 1.18.4) lib/enum.ex:2558: Enum.map/2
    (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/action_wrapper_helpers.ex:47: AshEvents.Events.ActionWrapperHelpers.create_event!/4
    (ash_events 0.4.2) lib/events/create_action_wrapper.ex:19: AshEvents.CreateActionWrapper.create/3
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:309: anonymous fn/6 in Ash.Actions.Create.commit/3
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4645: Ash.Changeset.run_around_actions/2
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4181: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
    (api 0.1.0) lib/api/repo.ex:2: anonymous fn/1 in Api.Repo."transaction (overridable 1)"/2
    (ecto 3.13.2) lib/ecto/repo/transaction.ex:7: anonymous fn/2 in Ecto.Repo.Transaction.transact/4
    (ecto_sql 3.13.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:1458: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Adapters.SQL.checkout_or_transaction/4
    (db_connection 2.8.0) lib/db_connection.ex:1753: DBConnection.run_transaction/4
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4179: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4323: anonymous fn/2 in Ash.Changeset.transaction_hooks/2
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/changeset/changeset.ex:4166: Ash.Changeset.with_hooks/3
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:261: Ash.Actions.Create.commit/3
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:132: Ash.Actions.Create.do_run/4
    (ash 3.5.26) lib/ash/actions/create/create.ex:50: Ash.Actions.Create.run/4

I created a small reproduction repo: https://github.com/thenhawke/ash_events_reporoduction

Showing Posts 1 to 4

ken-kost

ken-kost

It’s related to Ash.Type.dump_to_embedded/3 call.
I was able to make this work:

iex(12)> d = DateTime.utc_now() |> DateTime.truncate(:second)
~U[2025-07-15 16:48:07Z]
iex(13)> Ash.Type.dump_to_embedded :utc_datetime_usec, d
{:ok, ~U[2025-07-15 16:48:07Z]}

:thinking: The docs say for dump_to_embedded:

  @doc """
  Casts a value from the Elixir type to a value that can be embedded in another data structure.

  Embedded resources expect to be stored in JSON, so this allows things like UUIDs to be stored
  as strings in embedded resources instead of binary.
  """

So not sure if this is even right. Should it be a string after the dump? :person_shrugging:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

@thawke please open an issue on ash_events @Torkan is working on this area currently. In fact it may already be fixed in main, would be worth checking.

Torkan

Torkan

Hi @thawke!

Like @zachdaniel suggested, this issue should already be resolved in main.

Can you try using the main branch instead of the latest published version, and see if that works?

thawke

thawke OP

Can confirm this works in the main branch. Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews