kamaroly
Ash is not triggering before_action hook’s callback function if the update action is atomic, but when I set require_atomic? false in the action, Ash calls thecallback function (request_approval/3) as expected.
The create action works well. I am not sure why the update action is not working as expected on the atomic updates. What could I be getting wrong?
Below is my change:
defmodule MyApp.Changes.SubmitForApproval do
use Ash.Resource.Change
@impl Ash.Resource.Change
def change(%{context: %{changes_approved?: true}} = changeset, _opts, _context) do
# Changes have been approved, proceed to persist in the datalayer as expected.
changeset
end
def change(changeset, opts, context) do
# Changes are yet to be approved, seek approval before persisting them in the database
# !!! ========================================!!!
# Atomic updates are not firing request_approval/3 function.
# !!! ========================================!!!
Ash.Changeset.before_action(changeset, &request_approval(&1, opts, context))
end
@impl Ash.Resource.Change
def atomic(changeset, opts, context) do
{:ok, change(changeset, opts, context)}
end
defp request_approval(changeset, opts, context) do
# ================================================
# !!! THIS IS NOT REACHED WHEN UPDATES ARE ATOMIC !!!
# ================================================
# 1. Serialize the changeset
# 2. Store the change request for approval
# 2. Prevent submitting to underlying datalayer until approved
changeset
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Atomic update actions do not support before action hooks. We should be adding an error there instead of skipping them though.
kamaroly
Thanks @zachdaniel. Is there a way to set
require_atomic? falseglobally on specific resources?What I want is that if
ash_approvalextension is added to a resource, the atomic updates should be disabled conditionally based on whether changes have been approved or not.zachdaniel
I’m pretty sure you can’t do that at all. The whole concept of atomicity in Ash is about “not reading the record before updating it”. Could you describe more of what you’re trying to accomplish? How is approval stored and how is it checked?
kamaroly
The goal is to implement a maker-checker mechanism to changes.
Here is how I do it. It works for create but not for updates.
changesettobinaryand store it in thechange_requeststable.