adrian

adrian

Hello,

I am learning Ash for a new project. I am defining the multitenancy configuration, and I have a question about authorization.

From the docs:

If you want to enable running queries without a tenant as well as queries with a tenant, the global? option supports this. You will likely need to incorporate this ability into any authorization rules though, to ensure that users from one tenant can’t access other tenant’s data.

Can an authorization rule be created so only actors with the attribute is_superuser=true can get all the data? I miss an example of this.

What do you think is the best option?

  1. Having one action with the proper authorization rules to be able to query with and without tenant
  2. Create two read actions, one for retrieving all data (global? true) and another to use only with the tenant?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yep! You would do this with a custom simple check.

defmodule MissingTenant do
  use Ash.Policy.SimpleCheck

  def match?(_, %{subject: subject}, _) do
    {:ok, is_nil(subject.tenant)}
  end
end

Then you can use this in your policies. With the introduction of policy groups, I’d suggest doing something along these lines:

policy_group action(:read) do
  policy MissingTenant do
    authorize_if actor_attribute_equals(:role, :admin)
  end

  policy always() do
    general rules ....
  end
end

It’s important to fully read the policies guides to understand how they work. All policies that apply to a request must pass, and policies fail if no check sets their status to authorized.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

There is unfortunately no right or wrong answer here. They are both viable options. more and more specific actions can often simplify your application and authorization code. For reading, however, I often have fewer more flexible actions.

For your case, I’d suggest starting with the one read action that can have a tenant set or not, with policies ensuring only admins do that, and going from there :slight_smile:

adrian

adrian OP

Thanks a lot @zachdaniel !

I am struggling with the docs. I didn’t know SimpleCheck could be used as a condition, and I couldn’t find anything like that in the docs.

After navigating some time over all the documentation, I saw that the arguments of match? are: actor, context and opts. But I didn’t know that subject is in the context, and I didn’t find it on the docs either. I don’t even know what subject is.

I understand your example, but I couldn’t have figured it out myself.

That is the main problem I have using Ash with as a beginner.

I see on the SimpleCheck docs that says:

A type of check that operates only on request context, never on the data

But I don’t understand why this is important, and I think having a reference to checks that operate on the data would be helpful.

Ash is awesome! But starting to use it is not that easy, in my opinion.

This is not criticism of the docs, but just my experience with them, so maybe it can help somehow.

Thanks again; I’m very excited to learn Ash!

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

We understand the issue and are working on it :smile:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The authorizer context is documented here: Ash.Policy.Authorizer — ash v3.29.3

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews