sezaru

sezaru

I have a read action that I want to do some checks first.

To do that, I want to create some preparations, the first one will fetch some data, and the others will use that data to do some checks.

Here is the preparations that will fetch data and set as an argument inside the query:

defmodule Core.Feedbacks.Template.Actions.AllFromClass.Preparations.GetClass do
  @moduledoc false

  alias Core.Feedbacks.Class

  alias Ash.Error.Changes.InvalidAttribute

  use Ash.Resource.Preparation

  def prepare(query, _opts, %{actor: actor}) do
    class_id = Ash.Query.get_argument(query, :class_id)

    case Class.get!(%{id: class_id}, actor: actor) do
      nil ->
        # TODO give the error a code
        error = InvalidAttribute.exception(message: "Can't find class")

        Ash.Query.add_error(query, error)

      class ->
        Ash.Query.set_argument(query, :class, class)
    end
  end
end

As you can see, I get a class_id argument, fetch the class with it, and then I use Ash.Query.set_argument to add the class argument.

The problem is that this call doesn´t do anything, if I dbg the query after the set_argument call, the arguments field only contains the class_id argument.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sezaru

sezaru OP

Looking at the source code, it seems that the set_argument functio will ignore if the argument is not an argument inside the action itself.

Is there some way to bypass that? Or should I store the data inside the context using set_context instead?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Correct, to store values to be used later on/passed between changes, you’d use the context.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews