spacebat
On a recent episode of Elixir Mix Zach mentioned that resources can be backed by a function instead of a datalayer. Though I guess there are going to be caveats this sounds useful and would appreciate a little guidance on this approach.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
There are various ways that you can back an Ash resource with custom functional behavior. They are kind of like “tiers” of levels of escaping/overriding the framework’s behavior. In ascending order of what you should choose to use based on what you need.
Calculations and aggregates: computed properties that can be loaded on demand
Changes, Validations, Preparations: Attach functional behavior to an action, but keep the data layer default behavior. Great for attaching custom logic.
Ash.Changeset.set_resultorAsh.Query.set_result. If you want to conditionally override the result of an action, but in other cases, use the default action behavior, you can set the result of the action in a change/preparation. This can be used for things like providing a cached response conditionally. Here is a real example: ash_hq/lib/ash_hq/docs/resources/library/preparations/check_cache.ex at main · ash-project/ash_hq · GitHubManual Actions/Manual relationships: This allows you to keep the semantics of the action (i.e honor any changes, validations, hooks) but decide how the action itself is committed. This can be used with resources that have no data layer implementation as well.
This isn’t exhaustive, but its a good indication of the various levels of escape hatches, and the methodology of progressively selecting the least intrusive one that will accomplish what you need to accomplish.