larshei

larshei

I have created a Resource that I wanted to store with CubDB as the datalayer.

However, I run into the following error message:

AshCubDB.DataLayer does not support update actions on this resource.

If I remove the update: :* from the resource’s default action, I get the following error instead:

AshCubDB.DataLayer does not support create actions on this resource.

Resource

I created a simple key-value store as an example Resource

defmodule MyApp.Kve do
  use Ash.Resource,
    domain: MyApp,
    data_layer: AshCubDB.DataLayer

  attributes do
    attribute :key, :string
    attribute :value, :string
  end

  actions do
    defaults [:read, :destroy, create: :*, update: :*]
  end

  cubdb do
    directory "/data/cubdb/kv.cubdb"
    auto_compact? true
    auto_file_sync? true
    name :kv_storage
  end
end

Turning key into a primary_key does not change anything.

Versions

From mix.lock

"ash_cubdb": {:hex, :ash_cubdb, "0.6.2", "828203fcc1a48cf5538a7d5ef0dfa353725859da90619dee8360975785adc6f2", ...
"ash": {:hex, :ash, "3.2.4", "81842a319aa18e974c9e87905c2a30b42e5084f10bf2931a6709e26398eeb5a6", ...

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

@jimsynz would be able to say more, as this is his package, but it looks like the can? function for the data layer checks the writability of the target directory:

  def can?(resource, :create), do: Dir.writable?(resource)
  def can?(resource, :update), do: Dir.writable?(resource)
  def can?(resource, :upsert), do: Dir.writable?(resource)
  def can?(resource, :destroy), do: Dir.writable?(resource)
  def can?(resource, :read), do: Dir.readable?(resource)

Ash checks can?/2 at compile time (which it didn’t always do, so that is likely why ash_cubdb does this).

I’ve made a branch on my own fork with this fixed:

{:ash_cubdb, github: "zachdaniel/ash_cub_db", branch: "dont-check-dir"}

You could use this temporarily and then open an issue on the repo for ash_cubdb.

larshei

larshei OP

I see, the directory did not exist yet, so the checks probably failed. Did not expect this during compile time, as with mounted volumes etc the folders probably dont even exist in most build contexts.

Thanks!

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to happen at compile time, but at some point in the past that can? wasn’t called at compile time. The can?/2 shouldn’t use context related things (like file existence or environment variables).

jimsynz

jimsynz

Ash Core Team

Oh dear. I didn’t realise that can?/2 is now being called at compile time. I guess they should all just return true then.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Not your fault, it was changed in core at some point, and I didn’t anticipate the other kind of usage.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews