rapidfsub
This is a test code for ash_state_machine.
https://github.com/rapidfsub/sonet/blob/develop/test/sonet_lib/ash_state_machine/common_test.exs#L48
assert Ashex.can?({object, :progress}, nil) == false
This assertion passes, so I think there is no permission.
assert {:error, %Ash.Error.Forbidden{}} = Ashex.run_update(object, :progress, actor: nil)
But this assertion does not pass, because the Object.progress action fails with Ash.Error.Invalid.
I think action call without permission should return Ash.Error.Forbidden.
And Ash.Error.Invalid looks like a validation error.
Is this a bug?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Ash.can?is “is valid and is allowed” by default. Try usingAsh.canand see what kind of error is returned.rapidfsub
“valid” means validity of policies?
Not the validity determined by validations?
zachdaniel
I’m referring to the validity of the changeset itself. The reason for this is that validations and changes run before authorization.
zachdaniel
Any changes or validations that should run after authorization should use
before_action?: true(in the case of validations) orAsh.Changeset.before_actionin the case of changes.rapidfsub
I think I have bad understandig at
policyandcanfunction.So I need to study more about them.
I have a small question.
Would you give me a scenario, when does the
canfunction return{:ok, :maybe}?zachdaniel
{:ok, :maybe}would be returned in the case of filter policies on read actions, when the data to be read isn’t provided, andrun_queries?is set tofalse. So to answer we’d have to run the queries, so we’d have to say:maybe.rapidfsub
Thank you for your explanation.
rapidfsub
Ok, now I got it about my original question.
My Conclusions
Ash.can
{:ok, true}when policy pass (even if validation fail){:ok, false}when policy failError returned by action
Ash.Error.Forbiddenwhen only policy failAsh.Error.Invalidwhen only validation failAsh.Error.Invalidwhen policy and validation failWhy return
Ash.Error.Invalidwhen policy and validation fail?splodechoose first error class when combine(Get Started with Splode — splode v0.3.1)
Is this correct? @zachdaniel
rapidfsub
I got these conclusions with below test codes.
This is my
ash_state_machinetest code.https://github.com/rapidfsub/sonet/blob/develop/test/sonet_lib/ash_state_machine/common_test.exs
And this is
my authorization_validation_priority_test.exs.https://github.com/rapidfsub/sonet/blob/develop/test/sonet_lib/ash/research/authorization_validation_priority_test.exs
zachdaniel
A better way to phrase this would be that when running the action, policies aren’t run on invalid actions.