danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

I’ve moved the strategies out of PowAssent and created a multi-provider framework for Elixir. This way the strategies can be used in any context, and not be limited to Pow, Phoenix, Plug, etc.

Please don’t hesitate with feedback or PR’s!

Github: GitHub - pow-auth/assent: Multi-provider framework in Elixir · GitHub
Hex: assent | Hex

Features

  • OAuth 1.0, OAuth 2.0, and OIDC protocol support
  • Many out-of-the-box providers including Apple Sign In
  • Conforms userinfo to OpenID Connect Core 1.0 Standard Claims
  • Add your custom strategy in no time
  • Support for client_secret_jwt and private_key_jwt authentication in OAuth 2.0 and OIDC
  • Nearly no dependency requirements
  • Self-contained - the strategies consists of very little code and are easy to manage

Few dependencies

As with PowAssent, there are near zero dependency requirements for Assent.

:httpc is used as the default HTTP client with built-in SSL validation. Mint can be added for HTTP/2 support.

A JWT parser is built-in, but can be easily switched out with JOSE.

Custom strategies

Adding a custom strategy takes no time. This is all you need to set up an OAuth 2.0 strategy:

defmodule TestProvider do
  use Assent.Strategy.OAuth2.Base

  @impl true
  def default_config(_config) do
    [
      site: "http://localhost:4000/",
      authorize_url: "http://localhost:4000/oauth/authorize",
      token_url: "http://localhost:4000/oauth/access_token",
      user_url: "/user",
      authorization_params: [scope: "email profile"]
    ]
  end

  @impl true
  def normalize(_config, user) do
    {:ok, %{
      "sub"   => user["sub"],
      "name"  => user["name"],
      "email" => user["email"]
    }}
  end
end

The normalize/2 method expects userinfo that conforms to OpenID Connect Core 1.0 Standard Claims specs. All non-standard values will be rejected.

Non-standard values can be added to the user response by returning it in this way:

  def normalize(_config, user) do
    {:ok, %{
      "sub"   => user["sub"],
      "name"  => user["name"],
      "email" => user["email"]
    },
    %{
      "test_provider_bio" => user["bio"]
    }}
  end

What about Ueberauth?

I explained in the thread for PowAssent the main difference:

I hope you’ll find this library useful :rocket:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

tenzil

tenzil

Which one to use for multi provider? Pow and then assent or PowAssent? But internally powassent has pow and assent as dependencies. And I am newbie, it will be very helpful if add a sample repo with git or Facebook strategy. I got confused with the docs ( where I need to put the config , is it just a variable or it should go inside config )
A sample repo will be very helpful. thanks In advance I appreciate your help and support

danschultzer

danschultzer OP

Pow Core Team

Use PowAssent. Follow the instructions in the readme: GitHub - pow-auth/pow_assent: Multi-provider authentication for your Pow enabled app · GitHub

Got no sample repo or tutorial, but you just have to set up PowAssent as described above and then add the strategy like detailed further down the readme here: GitHub - pow-auth/pow_assent: Multi-provider authentication for your Pow enabled app · GitHub

As for the config, you should put it in the config file (dev.exs). For prod you can use prod.secret.exs, or env var for the credentials:

config :my_app, :pow_assent,
  providers: [
    facebook: [
      client_id: System.get_env("FACEBOOK_CLIENT_ID"),
      client_secret: System.get_env("FACEBOOK_CLIENT_SECRET"),
      strategy: Assent.Strategy.Facebook 
    ]
  ]

Assent is a low-level multi-provider library without any of the conveniences that PowAssent has such as Phoenix/Ecto integration.

tenzil

tenzil

Thanks dan, for a fast reply. This is very helpful. Long back I tried pow and I went with assent as I already had pow , will go with PowAssent now. Thanks again. I appreciate your help

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ausimian
Castle is a package I put together to assist with building Elixir releases capable of being live-upgraded via the ‘official’ release hand...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews