atomkirk

atomkirk

Do you think theres a way to write a function that matches a list of patterns with a list of values ignoring order? We use UXID and insert_all in our code a lot (which means all the inserted_at values are the same), which means theres not many options for guaranteeing sort order of results for doing assert […, …] = Repo.all(Model) which means tests are flakey. I just want to test “Records with these shapes were inserted into the db” and I don’t care about order.

@josevalim per https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1493725996276760582

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Sebb

Sebb

You could find some inspiration here:
https://github.com/devonestes/assertions/blob/8b353fd941baee8b71181d4e8722c587a5aede87/lib/assertions.ex#L264

just make it take a list of maps to match agains your values.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

They are? That’s surprising. Are you not using microsecond precision of inserted_at and updated_at?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It might sound dump, but if your data has no fixed order, then do not use assertions, which require order. Enum.find can do that for example. Testing for the length of lists can also make sure you‘re not missing records or have additional ones.

atomkirk

atomkirk OP

Well with insert_all setting timestamps is up to you cause ecto doesnt do it. So we pass the same value in every record. I don’t know what happens if you generate it at the db level… I guess another solution is to artificially stagger them in code on insert. Thanks for the prompt.

And we do use microsecond precision. Is that enough to GUARANTEE each map created in a loop has uniq timestamp?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

If I were you I’d just not use a hardcoded single value – that’s a meaningless optimization and I can’t believe this would account for anything more than 0.01% performance improvement.

I’d just use DateTime.utc_now() on each record – but it’s fine to have a single identical value for inserted_at and updated_at – and then inspect the data myself.

IMO dynamically setting up each field as the record gets inserted should be quite enough at the microsecond precision level.

eahanson

eahanson

You could add a new column just for the purposes of sorting in tests. I’ll sometimes add a sequence column named seq just for this.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Here is a macro (with tests) that matches all elements in the collection matches exactly one pattern in the list:

defmodule ListAssertions do
  defmacro assert_unordered(patterns, expression) when is_list(patterns) do
    clauses =
      patterns
      |> Enum.with_index()
      |> Enum.flat_map(fn {pattern, index} ->
        quote do
          unquote(pattern) -> unquote(index)
        end
      end)

    clauses =
      clauses ++
        quote do
          _ -> :not_found
        end

    quote do
      ListAssertions.__assert_unordered__(
        unquote(Macro.escape(patterns)),
        unquote(expression),
        fn x -> case x, do: unquote(clauses) end
      )
    end
  end

  def __assert_unordered__(patterns, enum, fun) do
    result =
      Enum.reduce(enum, %{}, fn item, acc ->
        case fun.(item) do
          :not_found ->
            raise ArgumentError,
                  "#{inspect(item)} does not match any pattern: #{Macro.to_string(patterns)}"

          index when is_map_key(acc, index) ->
            raise ArgumentError,
                  "both #{inspect(item)} and #{inspect(acc[index])} match pattern: " <>
                    Macro.to_string(Enum.fetch!(patterns, index))

          index when is_integer(index) ->
            Map.put(acc, index, item)
        end
      end)

    if map_size(result) == length(patterns) do
      :ok
    else
      raise ArgumentError,
            "expected enumerable to have #{length(patterns)} entries, got: #{map_size(result)}"
    end
  end
end

ExUnit.start()

defmodule ListAssertionsTest do
  use ExUnit.Case, async: true

  import ListAssertions

  test "all match" do
    assert_unordered([:foo, :bar, :baz], [:foo, :baz, :bar])
    assert_unordered([{:ok, _}, {:error, _}], [{:error, :bad}, {:ok, :good}])
  end

  test "duplicates" do
    assert_unordered([{:ok, _}, {:error, _}], [{:error, :bad}, {:ok, :good}, {:ok, :bad}])
  end

  test "too few" do
    assert_unordered([{:ok, _}, {:error, _}], [{:error, :bad}])
  end

  test "unknown" do
    assert_unordered([{:ok, _}, {:error, _}], [:what])
  end
end

Better error messages that integrate nicely with ExUnit are left as an exercise to the reader. :slight_smile:

23
Post #7
atomkirk

atomkirk OP

Works like a frickin’ charm. This seems generally useful. Do you want me to improve messages (like you said) and offer PR to add to ExUnit.Assertions?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

At the moment I don’t think it is ExUnit.Assertions material but I will keep an eye open for more use cases!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews