seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Hey all, I’m implementing the Swirld Hashgraph Conensus Algorithm in Elixir right now. I have the basics of the Algorithm down; however, I want to start to test it.

Basically, I want to create a TCP server capable of discovering other nodes on the network (using mDNS, Erlang has this) that will both Listen and Send in parallel.

For those of you unfamiliar with the algorithm, basically a node running on the network performs 2 operations in parallel:

  1. Receive data from another node
  2. Simultaneously send data to a randomly selected on the network

I know how to implement a basic TCP server in Elixir using :gen_tcp and a GenServer, but is it possible to perform these two operations asynchronously on the same node? Is it as simple as using spawn or the Task API?

I don’t work with TCP and this kind of stuff very often, so I’m not exactly sure where to go with this.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yup. Processes are always async with respect to each other. If you’ve got an erlang node and you want multiple things to run at the same time, just spawn a process to do each thing. If that process will be short lived, use a Task. If it will be long lived, you probably want to spawn a GenServer, which is a regular process + some “best practice” conventions around life cycle management.

seanmor5

seanmor5 OP

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Thanks!

In the case of Sending data, if I want to repeatedly send some data to a random node on the network after some set time delay, is it best to do this in the same, long-living process? OR should a process be spawned every time I want to send something?

That is:

  • spawn process, send data, delay, send data, delay
    OR
  • spawn process, send data, kill process, delay, spawn process, send data, kill process, delay
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It is probably enough to use Process.send_after in the long-living process.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews