zacksiri
I’m having trouble enabling async: true in my tests that involved GRPC endpoints.
I get the following error:
10:46:17.210 [error] ** (DBConnection.OwnershipError) cannot find ownership process for #PID<0.6663.0>.
When using ownership, you must manage connections in one
of the four ways:
* By explicitly checking out a connection
* By explicitly allowing a spawned process
* By running the pool in shared mode
* By using :caller option with allowed process
The first two options require every new process to explicitly
check a connection out or be allowed by calling checkout or
allow respectively.
The third option requires a {:shared, pid} mode to be set.
If using shared mode in tests, make sure your tests are not
async.
The fourth option requires [caller: pid] to be used when
checking out a connection from the pool. The caller process
should already be allowed on a connection.
If you are reading this error, it means you have not done one
of the steps above or that the owner process has crashed.
See Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox docs for more information.
(ecto_sql 3.10.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:1044: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.raise_sql_call_error/1
(ecto_sql 3.10.2) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:945: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute/6
(ecto 3.10.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:229: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.execute/4
(ecto 3.10.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:19: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.all/3
(ecto 3.10.3) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:151: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.one/3
(insterra 0.1.0) lib/insterra_grpc/servers/blueprint_server.ex:369: InsterraGRPC.BlueprintServer.update_component/2
(grpc 0.7.0) lib/grpc/server.ex:187: anonymous fn/6 in GRPC.Server.call_with_interceptors/4
(grpc 0.7.0) lib/grpc/telemetry.ex:94: anonymous fn/2 in GRPC.Telemetry.server_span/5
(telemetry 1.2.1) /Users/zacksiri/Development/_upmaru/insterra/deps/telemetry/src/telemetry.erl:321: :telemetry.span/3
(grpc 0.7.0) lib/grpc/telemetry.ex:93: GRPC.Telemetry.server_span/5
(grpc 0.7.0) lib/grpc/server/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:376: GRPC.Server.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.do_call_rpc/3
(grpc 0.7.0) lib/grpc/server/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:349: GRPC.Server.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.call_rpc/3
The app is just a phoenix app, and I have my own custom GRPC endpoint in the application.ex
If I just use Insterra.DataCase without async: true tests run without any issues. I’ve looked online to find examples of how people test their GRPC endpoint and couldn’t find any.
Here is how i setup my GPRC conn for tests
setup do
port = Enum.random(20000..20999)
{:ok, _server_pid} =
start_supervised(
{GRPC.Server.Supervisor, endpoint: InsterraGRPC.Endpoint, port: port, start_server: true},
[]
)
{:ok, conn} = GRPC.Stub.connect("localhost:#{port}")
{:ok, conn: conn}
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex









