Billzabob

Billzabob

During a database transaction, we are spawning a Task. The Task ends up querying the database itself, which leads to a race condition: the transaction may or may not have been committed by the time the Task runs its query.

One solution here is to perform the query before the Task and pass its results into the Task. That way the query is run in the transaction and there is no race condition. The problem here is that we moved the query into the Task for performance reasons; Doing the query synchronously was causing timeouts.

We have tried to figure out a way to have the Task poll the transaction status in the main process and only run once it’s complete, but that seems to be impossible since that info is stored on the process dictionary of the main process.

The way we are currently leaning is to just put a Process.sleep call at the beginning of the Task so that the transaction has time to finish and commit before the Task runs, but that obviously feels super dirty.

Any other suggestions?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

mbuhot

mbuhot

The task could use a blocking receive to wait for a message from the original process before running the query.

Alternatively it might be appropriate to switch to a supervised GenServer with a handle_cast.

Billzabob

Billzabob OP

The problem with that is that when we’re spawning the Task we are very deep into the callstack and the transaction is started near the top. We’d have to return the pid of the Task all the way back up so that we can send to it once the transaction is finished, which feels a little messy, especially since we don’t own a lot of the calling code.

mbuhot

mbuhot

If you’re using Postgres, you could use Listen/Notify to wait for the transaction to complete.

NOTIFY interacts with SQL transactions in some important ways. Firstly, if a NOTIFY is executed inside a transaction, the notify events are not delivered until and unless the transaction is committed

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This sounds like you want something like Oban, where instead of spawning a task, you would enqueue a job, and then when the transaction commits, that job can be run.

outlog

outlog

+1 for oban

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews