ion

ion

is anybody else finding beam.smp to take up 100%+ system resources on macOS when launching Atom editor with the deprecated atom-elixir/language-elixir plugin?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

mkunikow

mkunikow

I don’t like atom at all :slight_smile: (visual studio code/ spacemacs fan)

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Here the erl process started by atom is using <0.01% CPU in the process list. Atom itself is eating 0.44% while it does nothing… >.>

ion

ion OP

I don’t either. That’s why I’m trying to find/make a quick cheat sheet on common spacemacs commands to get me going efficiently.

Things like:

  • opening windows and closing them
  • opening help documentation and closing them (buffers?)
  • neotree - efficient file/folder traversal, file creation, deletion, renaming
  • split view debugging! oh, this would be lovely.
  • multi-line editing

:smiley:
(haven’t had time to figure out the tern binary not found error)

mkunikow

mkunikow

Tern is for javascript ..
First you need to install it on your system.
Spacemacs js layer

But I prefer visual studio code for js editing

Our spacemacs wiki

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That literally means that the tern binary, the tern program, is not found. Can you run tern on your terminal? :slight_smile:

One of your layers is looking for the tern program and you do not have that program on your path is the reason. :slight_smile:

ion

ion OP

which tern → /usr/local/bin/tern

My .spacemacs config file looks a bit ugly, but here it is. Do I need to separate the plugins into a layers file?

mkunikow

mkunikow

Windows users may need to set the variable tern-command in order for emacs to locate and launch tern server successfully. See this open issue for more details. The variable can be set when adding the javascript configuration layer:

(javascript :variables tern-command '(“node” “/path/to/tern/bin/tern”))

You can also try to run emacs GUI from terminal.

ion

ion OP

the problem is with the PATH not finding the tern binary when using spotlight.

but if I use open /Applications/Emacs.app --args --debug-init (fish shell, iterm), it works fine.

which emacs returns /usr/bin/emacs, which isn’t what I installed.

mkunikow

mkunikow

ok so can you just specify tern location in spacemacs config file when you define javascript layer?
I think this should fix problem
(javascript :variables tern-command '("node" "/path/to/tern/bin/tern"))

PS
But any way you won’t find better editor for javascript than visual studio code :smiley:

  • node.js debugging
  • typescript definitions: you can download typescript definition for library for example jquery and then you have documentation, code hints for this library
jackalcooper

jackalcooper

I’ve given up on Atom. Atom on my Mac always got frozen in about 3 minutes and prompt “wait or close”. I’ve tried Emacs, Spacemacs and Vim each for a while. Finally I think VS Code fits me the best and it’s very stable.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews