heathen

heathen

Hello!

I’m trying to figure out how to implement a complicated authorization scheme and allow to change the rules at run-time (without altering code base). Currently I evaluating this for a DDD (CQRS\ES) application I’am planning but it is more general question I think.

So let’s imagine we have the next set of authorization rules in the specs:

Pic with a table

It is possible to hard-code this rules but obviously I think it’s a dirty practice to put authorization code into the core domain for the one hand, and it will be non-trivial to support and extend this rules, especially when new domains, entities and\or attributes come to the scene.

So I think about ABAC with some kind of XACML implementation. In this case it would be possible to make policies like:

Policy name: List awaiting documents orders
Effect: Allow
Union: All
Rule 1: CommandOrQuery == ListOrders
Rule 2: Subject.Role == “Branch operator”
Rule 3: Object.Creator.Branch == Subject.Branch
Rule 4: Object.Status == “Documents required”

In case of commands Object-related rules become conditions, I believe.

Then it will be necessary to send the whole object and subject (user in our case) to the Application level authorization service like:

defmodule MyApp.Orders.Queries.ListOrders do
  alias MyApp.Orders.Projections.{User, Order}

  def execute(params, %User{} = user) do
    case MyApp.SecurityDomain.can?(__MODULE__, Order, user) do
      :not_authorized -> {:error, :not_authorized}
      conditions -> params
                    |> Map.merge(conditions)
                    |> buildQuery()
                    |> runQuery()
    end
  end

end

defmodule MyApp.SecurityDomain do
  def can?(MyApp.Orders.Queries.ListOrders, object, subject) do
    ...
  end
end

Sure, there will be a lot of difficulties beginning from query builder, especially with rules\conditions like in my example (Order aggregation and projection must have a Creator structure (even sub-aggregate probably) with Branch field) and so on, Order domain must follow User events and update appropriate local user aggregates etc etc.

But this will be let the security officers to create very flexible rules right at the run-time without developers intervention and downtime.

Of course I may over-complicate things and the same can be done much more easily. If so please let me know where can I read best practice and realization (especially in Elixir). Haven’t seen any examples of the more or less complete authorization system, all applications\articles I found have very simple auth part.

What do you think?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

karmajunkie

karmajunkie

I think you’re on the right track. A couple of suggestions:

  • If you’re using Commanded as your CQRS framework, which is the most commonly used in Elixir, you can use a middleware around command dispatch for authorization, which would be a good place to put your check.
  • There are a few libraries for authorization already on the scene; it might be worth looking at them.
  • If you’re going to roll your own (which is perfectly acceptable in my mind) you might look at using a protocol and providing implementations in different contexts that have different business rules around when a command can be dispatched.
MilosMosovsky

MilosMosovsky

Hey @heathen, it’s funny as I went to same scenario as you :slight_smile: (actually not that funny as it is common use case in real world app). I was struggling with hard coded rules as you but recently I created the library

I think it can cover many cases (if not all) in your described chart. Could you give a look to it? Thanks! I would love to see problems and cover any possible scenario needed and your complex table looks as good start :slight_smile:

StefanHoutzager

StefanHoutzager

A couple of messages around this subject appeared in different threads on this forum. The XACML standard XACML - Wikipedia was named. As I built a (start of) a rules engine in the past, as part of a BPMS (start of also, haha), I wonder if it would be interesting to use the broader DMN standard for this, for which open source modelers, interpreters (execution engines I mean) and validators are available. At least from Camunda. Here some thoughts / questions about the position of XACML, modelers and execution engines (search for keyword XACML), note: the book is almost 10 yrs old: Sustainable IT Architecture: The Progressive Way of Overhauling Information ... - Pierre Bonnet, Jean-Michel Detavernier, Dominique Vauquier, Jerome Boyer, Erik Steinholz - Google Books

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews