enobat

enobat

Can you use custom attributes similar to @impl or @behaviour, but rather than using a callback function, only the function name is used (e.g. @description Mod.fun).

# A.ex
defmodule A do
  use C

  @description1 "function11 returns :ok"
  def function1(_a) do
    :ok
  end

  @description2 A.function1
  def function2(_b) do
    :ok
  end
end

In the example above, the @description1 attribute is valid, since what follows is a string. Then, in @description2 fails since it tries to get a value, but instead I wish to get the name of the method (i.e. A.function1).

defmodule B do
  @behaviour Bar
  @callback foo
end

Some elixir modules are able to do something similar. For example, you can set modules/methods to @behaviour and @callback. Can something similar be created?
Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Nicd

Nicd

You could use a function reference there, like

@description &A.function1/1

But I’m wondering what you want to do with it? Obviously module A would then need to be compiled first.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You can capture a function with & in a module attribute:

defmodule Blergh do
  @some_attr &Blergh.foo/1
  def read_some_attr, do: @some_attr

  def foo(arg), do: IO.inspect(arg)
end

iex(2)> Blergh.read_some_attr.("hello world")
"hello world"
"hello world"

Note that the name must include the module - just spelling it foo/1 will return a CompileError.

enobat

enobat OP

I’m developing static checker, so all modules need to be compiled first, before analysed.

For example, the @description attribute can either be set to a string, or otherwise refer to another function (which I can process later on).

# A.ex
defmodule A do
  use B

  @description "function1/0 returns :ok"
  def function1() do
    :ok
  end

  @description A.function1
  def function2() do
    :ok
  end
end
# B.ex
defmodule B do
  defmacro __using__(_) do
    quote do
      import B
      Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :description, accumulate: true, persist: true)
      Module.register_attribute(__MODULE__, :test, accumulate: true, persist: true)
      @after_compile B
    end
  end

  def __on_definition__(env, _access, name, args, _guards, _body) do
    IO.puts("Reached on_definition")
    desc = Module.get_attribute(env.module, :description) |> hd()
    Module.delete_attribute(env.module, :description)
    Module.put_attribute(env.module, :test, {name, length(args), desc})
  end

  def __after_compile__(_env, bytecode) do
    IO.puts("Reached after_compile")
    # Gets debug_info chunk from BEAM file
    chunks =
     case :beam_lib.chunks(bytecode, [:debug_info]) do
        {:ok, {_mod, chunks}} -> chunks
        {:error, _, error} -> throw("Error: #{inspect(error)}")
      end
    # Gets the (extended) Elixir abstract syntax tree from debug_info chunk
    dbgi_map =
      case chunks[:debug_info] do
        {:debug_info_v1, :elixir_erl, metadata} ->
          case metadata do
            {:elixir_v1, map, _} ->
              # Erlang extended AST available
              map
          end
        x ->
          throw("Error: #{inspect(x)}")
      end
    dbgi_map[:attributes]
    |> IO.inspect
  end
end

This outputs the following. &A.function1/0 is saved which is what was needed:

[description: "function1/0 returns :ok", description: &A.function1/0]

Compared to the Elixir module, you can set functions directly @callback foo. Can something cleaner (without the &a/0) be achieved?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews