idi527

idi527

I’m playing around with nginx-rtmp module (here’s a more active fork) and I’m wondering what is the correct way of restricting access to it?

I imagined a flow like this:

  1. a user connects to a socket (phoenix) with a token
  2. Phoenix.Token verifies the user’s id
  3. user is fetched from the database and assigned to the socket
  4. some time later the user can join a channel like user:#{user_id} and if user_id is the same as user.id stored in assigns, this user becomes the broadcaster for this channel and receives a link to where to push his/her rtmp stream.
  5. at this point I start having troubles, how would I verify on nginx side that the stream coming to it is actually from the broadcaster and not some cracked cctv? how would I also forbid any “naughty” rtmp stream to an url that has not been received from user:#{user_id} channel?

I was thinking maybe jwt but I am not sure since I haven’t had any experience with them.

I guess what I am asking is, how something like this generally works?

Should I keep all the rtmp links that have been sent from the channel in some kind of registry and redirect the first rtmp push to nginx-rtmp through this registry which would put an “authorisation” header in the request, so that nginx-rtmp would then check it?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

idi527

idi527 OP

There is an example in readme

# The following notifications receive all
# the session variables as well as
# particular call arguments in HTTP POST
# request

# Make HTTP request & use HTTP retcode
# to decide whether to allow publishing
# from this connection or not
on_publish http://localhost:8080/publish;

# Same with playing
on_play http://localhost:8080/play;

# Publish/play end (repeats on disconnect)
on_done http://localhost:8080/done;

# All above mentioned notifications receive
# standard connect() arguments as well as
# play/publish ones. If any arguments are sent
# with GET-style syntax to play & publish
# these are also included.
# Example URL:
#   rtmp://localhost/myapp/mystream?a=b&c=d

I wonder if that can help me …

idi527

idi527 OP

Somehow I failed to do a proper google search.

There’s a module in php/python [0] that maybe solves my problem and an issue [1] with more links [2][3].

[0] GitHub - Nesseref/nginx-rtmp-auth: Backend for handling nginx rtmp module stream authentication · GitHub
[1] Does nginx-rtmp-module has authentication · Issue #798 · arut/nginx-rtmp-module · GitHub
[2] http://helping-squad.com/nginx-rtmp-secure-your-nginx-server/
[3] Redirecting to Google Groups

I wonder if this is a better approach then jwt though.

tcbyrd

tcbyrd

The general approach for securing RTMP is to use Stream Keys that are unique to the user account. This works basically the same as an API token, meaning if the key is present in the RTMP URL it will accept the stream. It also means you should typically give the user an option to refresh the token if they feel it’s been compromised for some reason.

Depending on the use case and audience, this is usually the better option than trying to tie it directly to a logged in user. For a lot of broadcasters, it’s common for your RTMP feed to come from external streaming equipment such as a Cerevo LiveShell, which may not even have an HTTP client. JWT usually implements with a timeout as well, which will refresh the token and could interrupt the stream.

You may find this article on implementing Stream Keys with Django helpful.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews