marinho10
I’m trying make authorization/authentication graphql subscriptions with elixir and absinthe using cookies and I used the follow link:
I’m trying authenticate the user for subscribe the right topic but I don’t have access to the cookies in the subscription connection. Why?
After I saw the follow link:
And in my user_socket.ex I pass the user_id as query param, this works, but it’s not secure at all… I can pass the id that I want !!!
Can someone help me?
@moduledoc false
use Phoenix.Socket
use Absinthe.Phoenix.Socket,
schema: MyAppGraphQL.Schema
## Channels
# channel "room:*", MyAppWeb.RoomChannel
# Socket params are passed from the client and can
# be used to verify and authenticate a user. After
# verification, you can put default assigns into
# the socket that will be set for all channels, ie
#
# {:ok, assign(socket, :user_id, verified_user_id)}
#
# To deny connection, return `:error`.
#
# See `Phoenix.Token` documentation for examples in
# performing token verification on connect.
def connect(%{"user_id" => user_id}, socket) do
case current_user(user_id) do
nil ->
:error
current_user ->
socket =
Absinthe.Phoenix.Socket.put_options(socket,
context: %{
current_user: current_user
}
)
{:ok, socket}
end
end
def connect(_, _), do: :error
defp current_user(user_id), do: MyApp.Accounts.lookup_user_with_company(user_id)
# Socket id's are topics that allow you to identify all sockets for a given user:
#
# def id(socket), do: "user_socket:#{socket.assigns.user_id}"
#
# Would allow you to broadcast a "disconnect" event and terminate
# all active sockets and channels for a given user:
#
# MyAppWeb.Endpoint.broadcast("user_socket:#{user.id}", "disconnect", %{})
#
# Returning `nil` makes this socket anonymous.
def id(_socket), do: nil
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fuelen
WebSockets do not have cookies. All they have is parameters. You have to use a token by which you can get user id and user after that.
There is an example here Phoenix.Token — Phoenix v1.8.8 how to use
Phoenix.Tokenwith sockets.marinho10
To understand everything, I follow the following topic: Accessing cookies in Phoenix.Socket connect
marinho10
https://medium.com/coletiv-stories/using-websockets-with-cookie-based-authentication-7e4bb9262898