Auto form submission when send_update is called from the child component

Hi all, hope everyone is safe. I am looking for some help with phoenix liveview

This is a weird behaviour, here.
I have a form and inside that I am using stateful live component(to select few options through a modal before it returns data back to parent). After the selections are done in that component send_update is called to the parent component to close the modal(child) and save some data into parent component assigns. Everything is working fine, except that the form in parent component is being auto submitted after child calls send_update and after the update function inside parent. Expected behaviour after update function is that the form should not be auto submitted and it should just store values from child component inside the assigns and stop there.

Parent component

def update(data, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, selected_things: data_from_child)}
 end
def render(assigns) do
~L"""
 <%= f = form_for @changeset, "#", [as: :form, phx_change: :validate, phx_submit: :save, phx_target: @myself %>
 <%= label f, ....
<%= select f, ....

<%= if @active_modal do %>
      <%= live_component @socket, ChildComponent , id: "someid"  %>
      <%  else %>
        <div>...</div>
<% end %>

<%= submit "Save" %>
"""
  end

Child component

def handle_event("send_data_to_parent", _params, socket) do
    send_update(
      ParentFormComponent,
      id: "parent form id",
      data_to_store_in_parent: data_in_child
    )

{:noreply, socket}
  end

def render(assigns) do
~L"""
<div>
......do some selections here and save them in this component state
Then on click of save button, send the required data to the parent component through `send_update`

<button class="" phx-click="send_data_to_parent" phx-target="<%= @myself %>">
            Save
          </button>
</div>
"""
  end

<button> tags inside a form are by default of type="submit". Add type="button" to your send_data_to_parent event trigger button.

1 Like

oh, I failed to see that, I was thinking about its the problem with liveview. Thanks for helping