Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann

Installed:

logger_file_backend 0.0.10

logrotate for Ubuntu (config file)

Trying to get logs to automatically rotate when they hit 125MB with logrotate to no avail. How can logs be automatically rotated straight from Elixir?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

cenotaph

cenotaph

Are you using journalctl?

You can set time or size limits for rotation, deletion

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Yes you can, by the way of Erlang/OTP logging handler :logger_disk_log_h. The relevant documentation is in Logger and Erlang

You need to mentally combine the two doc in your head to have the complete picture.

Also you should keep a less chatty log to the console for your own good, use the OS provided facilities to rotate it. Keep the chatty log separate from the default and do whatever you want on this one.

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Thanks for the suggestion. Here’s my latest attempt:

# config.exs
import Config

config :myapp, :logger,
  [
    {:handler, :default, :logger_disk_log_h, %{level: :info, file: 'test.log', max_no_bytes: 100_000_000}}
  ]

config :logger,
  utc_log: true,
  backends: [
    {LoggerFileBackend, :warnings_log},
    {LoggerFileBackend, :info_log}
  ]

config :logger, :warnings_log,
  path: "/home/myapp/Logs/warnings.log",
  level: :warn

config :logger, :info_log,
  path: "/home/myapp/Logs/info.log",
  level: :info
# application.ex
defmodule MyApp.Application do
  require Logger
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    :logger.add_handlers(:myapp)

    Logger.info("Initiating My App \n")
  end

Logs still don’t auto-rotate. What did I miss? :slight_smile:

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Read carefully here, it is a map within a map.
Also I do not suggest you change the :default handler. I am not sure if it is possible.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

What I meant is:

config :myapp, :logger,
  [
    {:handler, :my_disk_log, :logger_disk_log_h,
         %{config: %{file: 'test.log',
                     max_no_bytes: 100_000_000},
           level: :info}
    }
  ]

Untested, but you get the idea. It is a 2 level map, and each have it own set of keys. The outer level is the general configuration for any log_handler, the inner one is the configuration specifically for :logger_disk_log_h

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Success! :slight_smile:

Here’s the new config:

config :myapp, :logger, [
  {:handler, :myapp_disk_log, :logger_disk_log_h,
   %{
     config: %{file: 'Logs/info.log', max_no_bytes: 100_000_000},
     level: :info,
     formatter_config: %{time_offset: 0}
   }}
]

config :logger,
  utc_log: true,
  backends: [
    {LoggerFileBackend, :info_log}
  ]

Now, based on what the manual indicates here and here, formatter_config: %{time_offset: 0} was added to set the timestamp to UTC. However, this is not working. Where did I go wrong?

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

for formatter, it should be a map inside a tuple:

    formatter: {:logger_formatter, %{...}}

This thing is designed to be VERY flexible and powerful. Not the easiest API to use

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Changed formatter_config: %{time_offset: to formatter: {:logger_formatter, %{time_offset: 0} and now logs are being recorded in UTC. (Also got rid of utc_log: true,)

Thanks for helping translate the Erlang into Elixir :slight_smile:

hauleth

hauleth

Do not listem to @derek-zhou and do not use :logger_disk_log_h. That one is left for compatibility reasons and :logger_std_h instead. It works better and in more reasonable way.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Care to elaborate more? I am still using Erlang 21 and :logger_std_h in 21 does not support circular log file rotation.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews