sevenseacat
Author of Ash Framework
I always have issues with getting formatting for Ash-related code to work - I’ve seen it working before, I’ve gotten it working before, but always struggle getting it working on a new project.
I have a brand new Phoenix 1.7.10 app set up, with the latest versions of Ash, AshPostgres and AshPhoenix. I’ve added the deps and the plugin to my .formatter.exs -
[
import_deps: [:ecto, :ecto_sql, :phoenix, :ash, :ash_postgres, :ash_phoenix],
subdirectories: ["priv/*/migrations"],
plugins: [Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLFormatter, Spark.Formatter],
inputs: ["*.{heex,ex,exs}", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{heex,ex,exs}", "priv/*/seeds.exs"]
]
But when I do things like add parentheses to functions that shouldn’t have any, or rearrange the top-level blocks in a resource, they don’t get formatted the way they should when I run mix format.
Formatting is still working, because if I add things like heaps of extra blank lines they get stripped, it’s just the Ash-specific stuff that doesn’t seem to be working.![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
I believe you have to add at minimum an empty config for the things you want to get formatted, and also use the
remove_parens?: trueoption.i.e
sevenseacat
Oh that works perfectly! (And yes I can see that in the other apps that the formatting works in)
That’s not mentioned in any of the Getting Started guides that talk about setting up the formatter - I’ll see where it will fit and add it.