anken

anken

Hey, I created a hook to automatically clear flash messages after 5 seconds, in case it’s of anyone’s interest :slight_smile:

Here’s the code

// app.js
let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  // ...
  hooks: {
    AutoClearFlash: {
      mounted() {
        let ignoredIDs = ["client-error", "server-error"];
        if (ignoredIDs.includes(this.el.id)) return;

        let hideElementAfter = 5000; // ms
        let clearFlashAfter = hideElementAfter + 500; // ms

        // first hide the element
        setTimeout(() => {
          this.el.style.opacity = 0;
        }, hideElementAfter);

        // then clear the flash
        setTimeout(() => {
          this.pushEvent("lv:clear-flash");
        }, clearFlashAfter);
      },
    },
  },
});

I also created a post on dev.to with more details: Automatically clearing flash messages in Phoenix LiveView - DEV Community

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kblake

kblake

Simple and works well. Thanks!

xir

xir

It’s a nice solution! However, while testing it by triggering an event that causes a flash notification multiple times within the preconfigured 5 seconds, I consistently encountered the following error:

view.js:1521 Uncaught (in promise) Error: unable to push hook event. LiveView not connected
    at _View.pushHookEvent (view.js:1521:9)
    at _ViewHook.pushEvent (view_hook.ts:388:35)
    at hooks.js:19:12
pushHookEvent @ view.js:1521
pushEvent @ view_hook.ts:388
(anonymous) @ hooks.js:19
setTimeout
mounted @ hooks.js:17

So, I slightly modified it, probably not perfectly, by wrapping this.pushEvent in the following if clause:

setTimeout(() => {
  if (this.view && this.view.isConnected()) {
    this.pushEvent("lv:clear-flash", { key: this.el.dataset.key })
  }
  this.el.style.display = "none"
}, 5000)
anken

anken OP

Interesting edge case! It never happened to me, but I never really stress tested my solution. Thanks for sharing the issue and your solution!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews