D4no0

D4no0

I am currently trying to setup a CI that will build the docker image of the project. The caveat is that I am trying to use .tool-versions as the source of truth both for dev/CI and docker image.

So far I managed to pass correctly the necessary build arguments to docker build, however having the OS in format buster-20240612-slim makes it really hard to change elixir/erlang versions without eventually hitting into the situation where for a specific OS the versions are missing.

I am currently using base images from hexpm/elixir.

Maybe I missed something, but is it possible to somehow skip setting OS version? as I don’t care that much what version of the distribution is running.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

joelpaulkoch

joelpaulkoch

You are trying to use .tool-versions as the source of truth for everything, right?
So, is your plan to get any debian image and install erlang/elixir using asdf inside the docker image, then proceed and build the project?
Why could the elixir/erlang versions be missing for a specific OS when you install them using asdf?

D4no0

D4no0 OP

Exactly.

No, I want a pre-built base image with elixir/erlang, I am not planning on building erlang from source inside of docker. I am currently using the images from hexpm/elixir forgot to mention that. Think of .tool-versions as just a txt document with the right versions, as asdf is used only on dev environment.

The main problem I am encountering is that pre-built images by hex have also their OS versioned, so this makes it hard as some elixir/erlang versions are using older OS versions, for example: 1.10.4-erlang-21.0.9-debian-bullseye-20241111-slim

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I don’t think there are tags for that repo, which do not include OS level details.

joelpaulkoch

joelpaulkoch

Oh, I see. I guess you could make a call to the docker hub api to get the latest tags, then filter based on your versions..

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s also well cacheable given tags never change.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews