venomnert
Background
I am trying to generate a presigned url which I can send to a react frontend. However I am struggling to generate a presigned url with ex_aws_s3.
Dependencies
{:ex_aws, "~> 2.1.2"},
{:ex_aws_s3, "~> 2.0"},
{:hackney, "~> 1.9"},
{:sweet_xml, "~> 0.6"}
Shell
source .env
iex -S mix phx.server
IEX code
bucket = "fls-bm-app"
path = "/place_image/"
query_params = [{"ContentType", "image/png"}, {"ACL", "public-read"}]
presign_options = [virtual_host: true, query_params: query_params]
ExAws.Config.new(:s3)
|> ExAws.S3.presigned_url(:put, bucket, path, presign_options)
This returns a the following url
https://fls-bm-app.s3.amazonaws.com/place_image/?ACL=public-read&ContentType=image%2Fpng&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA5BRXG4R66NZ6MWLO%2F20220205%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20220205T200722Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=63de6df3730ea5a70c73035
When trying to push a file from the frontend to the above url it creates the folder /place_image/ only, but it doesn’t upload the file.
I am stumped as to where to go from here.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
riebeekn
Sounds like you are trying to push the file vs downloading it? I could be wrong, but I though presigned_url was only for getting a download link, maybe you need to use presigned_post?
For uploading files I’ve used put_object, i.e.
I don’t know if that will be of us to you however, given you are using react on the frontend.
axelson
Try putting the full file name in this path. So something like “/place_image/myfile.jpg”
Although I would recommend presigned post as well because then you can avoid a CORS preflight request.
venomnert
Thank you @riebeekn for the suggestion, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I created a video going more into detail about the implementation and usage of it.
Related article: Demystifying direct uploads from the browser to Amazon S3 - with a full example in 167 lines of code