AWS S3 File uploading using presigned url

Background

I am trying to generate a presigned url which I can send to a react frontend. However I am struggling to generate a presigned url with ex_aws_s3.

Dependencies

{:ex_aws, "~> 2.1.2"},
{:ex_aws_s3, "~> 2.0"},
{:hackney, "~> 1.9"},
{:sweet_xml, "~> 0.6"}

Shell

source .env
iex -S mix phx.server

IEX code

bucket = "fls-bm-app"
path = "/place_image/"

query_params = [{"ContentType", "image/png"}, {"ACL", "public-read"}]
presign_options = [virtual_host: true, query_params: query_params]

ExAws.Config.new(:s3)
|> ExAws.S3.presigned_url(:put, bucket, path, presign_options)

This returns a the following url
https://fls-bm-app.s3.amazonaws.com/place_image/?ACL=public-read&ContentType=image%2Fpng&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA5BRXG4R66NZ6MWLO%2F20220205%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20220205T200722Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=63de6df3730ea5a70c73035

When trying to push a file from the frontend to the above url it creates the folder /place_image/ only, but it doesn’t upload the file.

I am stumped as to where to go from here.

1 Like

Sounds like you are trying to push the file vs downloading it? I could be wrong, but I though presigned_url was only for getting a download link, maybe you need to use presigned_post?

For uploading files I’ve used put_object, i.e.

local_file = File.read!(src_path)

ExAws.S3.put_object(@bucket, dest_path, local_file)
      |> ExAws.request!()

I don’t know if that will be of us to you however, given you are using react on the frontend.

1 Like

Try putting the full file name in this path. So something like “/place_image/myfile.jpg”

Although I would recommend presigned post as well because then you can avoid a CORS preflight request.

1 Like

Thank you @riebeekn for the suggestion, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I created a video going more into detail about the implementation and usage of it.

Related article: Demystifying direct uploads from the browser to Amazon S3 - with a full example in 167 lines of code | JavaScript | Opinions, tips and case studies by systems architect Leonid Shevtsov

2 Likes