djaouen

djaouen

I would like to do something like the following:

input = Axon.input("input", shape: {prediction_days, 1})

model =
  input
  |> Axon.lstm(50)
  |> Axon.dropout(rate: 0.2)
  |> Axon.lstm(50)
  |> Axon.dropout(rate: 0.2)
  |> Axon.lstm(50)
  |> Axon.dropout(rate: 0.2)
  |> Axon.dense(1)

But when I try this out in LiveBook, I get the following error:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Axon.dropout/2    
    
    The following arguments were given to Axon.dropout/2:
    
        # 1
        {#Axon<
           inputs: %{"input" => {60, 1}}
           outputs: "lstm_1_output_sequence"
           nodes: 6
         >,
         {#Axon<
            inputs: %{"input" => {60, 1}}
            outputs: "lstm_1_c_hidden_state"
            nodes: 6
          >,
          #Axon<
            inputs: %{"input" => {60, 1}}
            outputs: "lstm_1_h_hidden_state"
            nodes: 6
          >}}
    
        # 2
        [rate: 0.2]
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):
    
        def dropout(%Axon{} = x, opts)

The Python code I am trying to replicate looks like this:

model = Sequential()

model.add(LSTM(units=50, return_sequences=True, input_shape=[x_train.shape[1],  1]))
model.add(Dropout(0.2))
model.add(LSTM(units=50, return_sequences=True))
model.add(Dropout(0.2))
model.add(LSTM(units=50))
model.add(Dropout(0.2))
model.add(Dense(units=1))

model.compile(optimizer='adam', loss='mean_squared_error')
model.fit(x_train, y_train, epochs=25, batch_size=32)

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Axon’s LSTM (and all other RNNs) return tuples of {seq, state}. If you want to apply dropout you need to extract the seq element and apply dropout to that from the tuple.

I would advise against this though, it’s usually discouraged to apply normal dropout to RNN outputs because it can hinder learning. You’d need to use recurrent dropout to achieve the regularization effect you’re looking for, but Axon does not support this.

djaouen

djaouen OP

Thanks for the info, @seanmor5. I am somewhat new to Neural Networks, so I was basically just copying my model from a tutorial I found on YouTube using Tensorflow and scikit-learn. Next time, I will try to do more research before asking a question on a topic I am not familiar with. Thanks again!

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

No problem, and don’t feel bad for having questions! It’s how we all learn.

There are some RNN examples in the Axon repo if you want to check those out for some additional help!

djaouen

djaouen OP

Sorry, but I have another quick question. I am trying to reshape a tensor in Nx, but the EXLA backend won’t let me for some reason. Here is the code:

shape_1 = elem(Nx.shape(x_tensor), 0)
shape_2 = elem(Nx.shape(x_tensor), 1)
shape_3 = 1

shape = {shape_1, shape_2, shape_3}

x_tensor = Nx.reshape(x_tensor, shape)

And this is the error I see:

** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: #Function<0.58063470/0 in Nx.LazyContainer.Nx.Tensor.traverse/3>
    (exla 0.3.0) lib/exla/defn/buffers.ex:58: anonymous fn/2 in EXLA.Defn.Buffers.from_nx!/1
    (elixir 1.14.0) lib/enum.ex:2468: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    (exla 0.3.0) lib/exla/defn/buffers.ex:57: EXLA.Defn.Buffers.from_nx!/1
    (exla 0.3.0) lib/exla/defn.ex:303: EXLA.Defn.maybe_outfeed/7
    (stdlib 4.0.1) timer.erl:235: :timer.tc/1
    (exla 0.3.0) lib/exla/defn.ex:264: anonymous fn/7 in EXLA.Defn.__compile__/4
    (nx 0.3.0) lib/nx/defn.ex:432: Nx.Defn.do_jit_apply/3
djaouen

djaouen OP

Nevermind, I updated EXLA to use GitHub (instead of hex.pm) and the error went away on its own. Cheers!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews