stevensonmt

stevensonmt

I’m trying to reason through a problem that requires tracing a path between two points with any number of detours possible as long as the endpoints are met. What I thought would be reasonable would be something like %MyTreeThing{coord: {int, int}, val: bool, children: [%MyTreeThing{}]} where the val determines whether a given coordinate allows the path to continue. The children should be restricted to coordinates N, S, E, W, NW, NE, SW, SE from the current coordinate. This is all doable (enforceable via constructor functions if not type limitations) but I don’t know an efficient way to prevent the formation of infinite loops. You could check all parent nodes to the root for every insertion but that seems inefficient. Any suggestions on how to do this or is this just an entirely wrong approach?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You could create a :digraph graph and use :digraph_utils.is_acyclic/1.

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

Thanks! I was actually just reading through the source for libgraph and it looks like it basically does check for inclusion of a vertex in the “out neighbors” to ensure a path is acyclic. I’ll try to look into :digraph as well.

mpope

mpope

If by infinite loop, do you mean this should be specifically a DAG, with no child node referencing a node above it? If so, you could use a MapSet to verify that the current node that you’re adding hasn’t already been added to the graph. Its a pretty blunt approach, because it sounds like not all nodes will have all coordinates filled and loops could be prevented in a more sophisticated way, but maybe you could come up with a series of sets to check.

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

I like that idea. I was thinking about having a map of neighbors for each vertex and a map of parents for each path. As a path gets constructed it would check the parents map to ensure no cyclical paths are allowed.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews