Flo0807

Flo0807

Hello everyone!

I am excited to share our heart project Backpex with you.

After building several Phoenix applications, we realized that we were repeating ourselves when it came to building administration panels. We were writing the same CRUD views, search and filter functionality over and over again. We wanted a tool that would allow us to quickly scaffold these views and focus on building the core functionality of our applications.

The tool we wanted had to be able to serve as a simple backend administration panel in one project, while being the core of the application in another.

We looked at existing solutions, but found that none of them offered the flexibility and customization we were looking for, especially in terms of live updates and LiveView features. We decided to develop Backpex to solve this problem and provide a highly customizable administration panel for Phoenix LiveView applications. Backpex should not only be a simple administration interface for developers, but also a good-looking UI for end users.

Even though Backpex already offers a lot of features, there is still a lot to do. We also have many ideas for future work. That’s why we are very open for contributions and appreciate any help. We have just released a public roadmap and created some issues that are open for contributions on GitHub (see “good-first-issue” label).

We really want to hear what you would like to see next and what is missing. We’d love to hear your feedback!

Hex Package: backpex | Hex

Live Demo: https://backpex.live/

https://github.com/naymspace/backpex

Showing Posts 1 to 10

greven

greven

Heya! This looks great. :slight_smile:
Will try it out when I have the bandwidth in my project so I can contribute with feedback about integrating it into an “already developed” product.

ghannam80

ghannam80

Seems very promising.
Does it have dual control “Maker/Checker” in place for changing sensitive resources ?

Flo0807

Flo0807 OP

Not yet. Is a maker/checker feature something you need in your project? I started a discussion on GitHub about a maker/checker feature: Maker-checker · naymspace/backpex · Discussion #375 · GitHub

nallwhy

nallwhy

It would be great if it were integrated with ash.

apsori

apsori

I agree. :slight_smile:

KP123

KP123

Is this a drop in replacement for LiveDashboard or would I need to reimplement all that functionality from scratch?

ghannam80

ghannam80

Yes , in some contexts especially enterprise ones you should enforce maker/checker principle for change and actually that is adopted as part of security and audit guidelines of those applications

Flo0807

Flo0807 OP

Thanks for your feedback! I have also started a discussion on GitHub about supporting Ash: Support Ash · naymspace/backpex · Discussion #377 · GitHub

We see that some people have already suggested supporting Ash, so we may consider working on it in the medium term. However, a lot of work needs to be done to support both plain Ecto schemas and Ash resources.

We do not plan to be completely dependent on Ash in the future, so using all the features of Ash while still being able to use Backpex without Ash might be a bit of a challenge.

But the feedback that many of you want to see Ash support is very valuable to us! :folded_hands:

Flo0807

Flo0807 OP

It is not a drop-in replacement for LiveDashboard. Backpex is more of an admin panel rather than an admin dashboard. However, there is already a feature request regarding dashboard functionalities. Of course, you can use LiveDashboard and Backpex at the same time.

KP123

KP123

I don’t understand. What’s the difference between an admin panel and a dashboard? Is it just that ones provides actions for the viewer to take instead of just a window over the data?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews